[fvc-wat-announce] Information Night this Tuesday

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat May 5 00:13:14 EDT 2007

The second Tuesday in May is coming up on the 8th, and that means it is
time for an Electoral Reform Information Night. These sessions are
self-contained and introductory. They are a great opportunity to learn
about the issues behind the upcoming October 10 referendum and to
introduce others to these issues.

We will start the information session by covering our current voting
system and its impact on democracy. We will then move on to the
activities of the Ontario Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform, and
then we will cover the Mixed-Member Proportional system they have
proposed as an alternative to first-past-the-post. Finally, we will have
some time for questions and discussion.

Here are the details:

Electoral Reform Information Session
Tuesday, May 8, 7:00pm
Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work
120 Duke St W, Kitchener
(behind Kitchener City Hall)

Maps and parking information are on our chapter homepage:
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion

Here are some other notes not related to the information session:

We have some preliminary "Vote Yes" pamphlets (and quite a bit of other
literature) we can give you if you are looking to spread the word.
E-mail me to organize a dropoff. We don't have huge amounts to give away
(that will happen after May 15, I think) but there is a fair bit to go
around.

You can also volunteer to join the campaign, helping with outreach,
networking, media coverage, public speaking, door-to-door canvassing or
several other jobs. We are going to need lots of help to make the
referendum campaign a success. Our next volunteer meeting will be held
May 22, but you can get in touch sooner and help us out now. We are
currently organizing to appear at some nomination meetings and to get out
to some of the wonderful summer festivals in the area.

Finally, the Annual General Meeting for the national Fair Vote Canada
organization is being held in Toronto on June 1 and 2. If you are
interested in attending the many interesting talks and speakers, we can
possibly arrange some carpooling and hotel-sharing. More information
about the Fair Vote Canada AGM is available from
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/2007_agm_0

Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday May 8, 7pm