[fvc-wat-announce] Upcoming events and volunteering (1 of 2)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 20 13:41:16 EDT 2007

Hello referendum aficionados,

I have prepared a more "press-release" style letter that I will send
after this one. It contains public awareness events such as debates
and rallies. I will repeat only one of those events here: the
Referendum Rally this Saturday.

This is our BIG media publicity event. It is being held this Saturday
at 1:30pm in Central Park in Preston (near the intersection of Argyle
and King). There are a number of good (and somewhat famous) speakers
who will be in attendance. A good turnout at this rally would send a
strong message that the people of Waterloo Region are serious about
electoral reform, so please come out and bring your family and
friends.

Here are some other opportunities coming up:

Canvassing
----------

Canvassing has started. This Sunday volunteers will be canvassing the
Laurelwood area. To get involved contact Josh Smyth: smyth.josh at
gmail.com, or 519 496 0541 .

Lawn Signs and Buttons
----------------------

Along with canvassing we have buttons (some of which have arrived)
and lawn signs (on order -- I think they have not arrived yet). If
you are interested in getting some of these things please get in
touch and we can let you know when they arrive.

Literature
----------

We have some literature available for you to distribute. Putting
literature in public places (waiting rooms, community centres, etc)
is a reasonable way to get the word out.

Booths and Festivals
--------------------

In addition to the events listed in our e-mail, we have:
  - Sat Sept 22: The Car Free celebrations in Victoria Park.
http://www.wpirg.org/carfree
  - Our booth at the St. Jacob's Weekend Market
  - Thurs Sept 27, 5:00pm: the Nudge festival at the Wax nightclub.
http://www.myspace.com/nudgeevents
  - Booth staffing both at WLU and UW

We could use help with all these events. To get involved please
contact me.

Letters to the Editor
---------------------

The Record is being swamped with letters to the editor from MMP
opponents. Please help turn the tide by writing positive letters to
the Record and other local newspapers (the Cambridge Times, Waterloo
Chronicle, New Hamburg Independent, and others).

The current crop of letters has messaging like "If you don't know
what MMP means, vote for FPTP" and the tired favourite "List MPs are
appointed, not elected". These statements are fishy at best, but if
we don't refute them then people will believe these stories.

All-Candidates Meetings
-----------------------

There are a large number of all-candidates meetings happening over
the next few weeks. We could really use your help in arranging for us
to be present at these meetings.

You can also attend these meetings and ask questions related to MMP
and the referendum.

For a list of all the meetings we know of, see the Google Calendar
(also linked off our webpage, because this URL is long):

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=v6mdihivmck5jr3so9d2ilbe04%40group.calendar.google.com

If you know of other local election/referendum events please send
them along and we will add them to the calendar.

Referendum Information Sessions
-------------------------------

People have been organizing information nights for their community
associations, housing co-ops, churches and so on with great success.
Why not invite a speaker to tell you about the referendum firsthand?
Unlike the Referendum Ontario speakers, we are allowed to go beyond
mere mechanics and discuss the impacts of the two election systems.

Donations
---------

If you can help us out financially please get in touch. Lawn signs
and literature do cost money, and it is going to take quite a bit of
signage to break through voter and media indifference to the
referendum.

Paul Nijjar  http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next Referendum Info Session: Sept 18, 7pm
(Please use this Yahoo! account for future correspondence.)