[fvc-wat-announce] Information sessions! Volunteering! Two weeks left!

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 27 16:46:49 EDT 2007

Two weeks left! Let's win this!

Forward this to others!

Information Sessions
--------------------

Remember: the October 9 information session is CANCELLED! But there
are several other opportunities to get you (and your family, and
friends, and neighbours) informed. All of these are open to the
public.

0. Tonight, Sept 27, 7pm
   St. Aloysius Church, 11 Traynor Ave, Kitchener

1. Tomorrow, Sept 28, 7pm
   Beaver Creek Co-op Community Centre
   590 Bearinger (near Bearinger and Hagey Blvd), Waterloo

2. Monday, Oct 1, 6pm
   Bricker Hall room 111, Wilfrid Laurier University
   (It looks like there could be multiple presentations -- one every
hour or so -- so don't be frightened of coming in a bit late.)

3. Tuesday, Oct 2, 7pm
   Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work, 120 Duke St W, Kitchener,
behind
   City Hall.
   (This is the LAST info night at the School of Social Work! Attend
then or
   hold your peace!)

We still have slots available, so if you want us to come and give an
information night for your group, speak up now!

Canvassing
----------

There's lots of canvassing this weekend, and more coming up next
week. To get involved, contact Josh Smyth: smyth.josh at gmail.com or
519.496.0541

Here are the canvassing opportunities happening this weekend. Josh
says it would be nice if you contacted him beforehand but if you
can't you can just drop by. They will train you and give you
literature. You can also organize your own canvassing caravans;
contact Josh and run your suggested locations with him so that we
don't cover ground twice.

0. Saturday Sept 29, 11am
   Meet at the Tim Horton's at Fischer-Hallman and University,

1. Sunday Sept 30, 11am
   Meet at the Tim Horton's at Ottawa and Westmount

2. Hespeler canvassing: contact Ron Fyfe at ronpat at porchlight.ca or
519.621.3008 to get involved.

Debates and All-Candidates Meetings
-----------------------------------

There are some referendum-specific debates, but not many.

Referendum-specific:

0. Oct 3, 12pm
   Wilfrid Laurier University, Turret (the pub)
   There is an all-candidates meeting from 12-1pm, then a debate
between Professors Tanguay and Woolstencroft from 1-2pm.

All-candidates meetings (attend and ask referendum questions!):

0. Tonight, Thursday Sept 27, 7pm
   Grey Silo golf course (!)
   Kitchener-Waterloo debate sponsored by the Record

1. Monday, Oct 1, 7pm
   Kitchener Gospel Temple, 9 Conway Drive, Kitchener
   Kitchener Centre

2. Tuesday Oct 2, 12pm
   Student Life Centre Great Hall, University of Waterloo
   Kitchener-Waterloo debate

3. Tuesday, Oct 2, 7pm
   St. Agatha Community Centre
   Kitchener-Conestoga debate sponsored by the Record

4. Wednesday, Oct 3, 7pm
   Preston Memorial Auditorium, 1458 Hamilton St, Cambridge
   Cambridge debate sponsored by the Record

If you know of other debates/all-candidates meetings, please let me
know.

Booths and Festivals
--------------------

Come out, have fun and get other people involved!

0. Saturday, Sept 29, 11am-6pm SUNDANCe pow-wow
   St. Paul's College, University of Waterloo
   There is a $5 entry charge, but there is lots of stuff happening.
This is part of the UW Homecoming events.

1. Weekends, St. Jacob's Weekend Market (old Waterloo Farmer's
Market)
   Saturdays 7am-2pm
   Sundays 10am-4pm

2. St. John's Kitchen, Victoria and Weber St
   Dates to be announced (likely Monday afternoon and maybe Thursday
or Friday)

3. WLU Concourse, 10am-2:30pm (?)
   There will be a display Friday Sept 28, Wednesday Oct 3, Friday
Oct 5.

Lawn Signs and Buttons and Literature
-------------------------------------

We have some buttons and literature and can get some to you.

We are pretty much out of lawn signs, but have a few (like, 5-10)
that can still be distributed. If you want one speak up.

Donations
---------

We could use your donations (for example, if we want to try and order
more lawn signs, although we might be too late on that). If you want
to make a donation (to the Waterloo Region Chapter, Cambridge or the
campaign in general) please make cheques payable to "Vote for MMP".
You can also donate by filling out an online form:

http://voteformmp.ca/en/donate

Polling
-------

The latest polls I have heard say: 47% has no idea about what the
referendum is about, 41% knows a little, 12% knows a lot.

Of the 50% of people who have decided how to vote, 54% say "MMP" and
46% say "FPTP".

We have work to do. Get out there and let people know about this!
Word of mouth is the most effective canvassing there is!

Get informed! Get involved! Let's make some history and take
democracy back in our hands!

Paul Nijjar  http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next Referendum Info Session: Sept 18, 7pm
(Please use this Yahoo! account for future correspondence.)