[fvc-wat-announce] Newsletter Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region Chapter

Angela Yenssen ayenssen at rogers.com
Sun Apr 13 23:32:22 EDT 2008

FAIR VOTE CANADA WATERLOO REGION CHAPTER NEWSLETTER

ISSUE #2, 2008

CHAPTER AGM APRIL 28, 2008 AT 7:00 P.M.

          I hope to see all of you at the Annual General Meeting for the
chapter for 2008.  The AGM will be held on Monday, April 28, 2008 at 7:00
p.m. in the community room at the Zehrs Store at the Laurentian Power
Centre, 750 Ottawa Street South in Kitchener.  Our guest speaker will be Dr.
Brian Tanguay, chair of the political science department at Wilfrid Laurier
University.  Dr. Tanguay was an active member of our local Fair Vote Canada
chapter during the referendum campaign.  He will be speaking at the AGM on
the subject of reflections on the referendum campaign and the way forward
with electoral reform in Ontario.

In addition to Dr. Tanguay's presentation, we will have a brief business
meeting in which we will elect the board of the chapter for the coming year.
I and a few other board members intend to seek re-election but we still need
a couple more board members to have all the seats on the board filled.
Please contact me if you would like any information about the duties of a
board member or to find out more information about the AGM.  I can arrange
rides to the AGM for anyone who has difficulty with transportation but would
like to attend.

I hope we will all come together at the AGM to renew our chapter and move
forward with the fight for a better democracy.  I look forward to ongoing
communication with you through this quarterly chapter newsletter but also
welcome any suggestions you have by phone or e-mail for improving our
chapter.

Angela Yenssen, Chair, Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region Chapter

ayenssen at rogers.com

(519) 747-3825

WELCOME TO NEW BOARD MEMBER

forward to volunteer for the local chapter board.  Neil is currently
completing his articling requirements for becoming a lawyer in Ontario.  His
legal expertise and enthusiasm have already been a great benefit to the
operations of the board and will continue to benefit our work in future
assuming members choose to elect him to the board for 2008/2009 at the AGM.
Welcome aboard Neil!

PROVINCIAL STRATEGY TEAM UPDATE

          There was an article in the January newsletter informing you of
Angela Yenssen's membership on a provincial strategy team for Fair Vote
Ontario.  The team concluded its work in February.  One of the major
recommendations was the creation of an annual autumn fair voting conference
for Ontario.  Watch for more information in the near future about the first
provincial fair voting conference to be held in Ontario in autumn 2008.

A second significant recommendation from the strategy team was the
continuation of the separate Fair Vote Ontario provincial campaign as a
subsidiary of the broader Fair Vote Canada campaign.  A new board will be
created for Fair Vote Ontario and convene operations in May 2008.  Each
chapter executive in Ontario was asked to nominate an executive member to
serve as the chapter's representative on the Fair Vote Ontario team.  The
Waterloo Region executive nominated current chapter chair Angela Yenssen to
serve as the local chapter representative to the Fair Vote Ontario board.
Other chapter members will have an opportunity to run for election to this
position or to confirm Angela's nomination to the position at the AGM on
April 28th.

NATIONAL UPDATE

          The annual general meeting for the national Fair Vote Canada
organization will be held on Saturday, May 31st at Ryerson University in
Toronto.  Any chapter members interested in attending the AGM in Toronto can
contact Angela Yenssen, current chair of the local chapter, to arrange
transportation if needed.

WATERLOO REGION STRATEGY NEEDED

          The board members of the Waterloo Region Chapter have formulated a
local voting reform strategy for the coming year.  This strategy will be
discussed at the AGM and feedback from chapter members to improve the
strategy would be greatly appreciated.  Let's make 2008 a year in which we
raise more support for voting reform in Waterloo Region!