[fvc-wat-announce] Democracy Week Sept 12-18 - Join Us!

lanickerson at b2b2c.ca lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Wed Aug 24 12:08:04 EDT 2011

Hi Fair Vote Waterloo supporters!

Fair Vote Canada has initiated the first annual Democracy Week in Canada, and we
invite you to join us! Together, "Let's Make Voters Stronger!"

Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region has invited and collaborated with diverse
community groups to organize an exciting schedule of events, designed to shine
a spotlight on our Canadian democracy, engage us in the issues facing voters,
and make our voices heard!

http://www.fairvote.ca/en/democracy-week-events-kitchener-waterloo

Chat with your local candidates and fellow voters about democracy at "Politics
on the Patio".
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=270873319591755#!/event.php?eid=109495035817098

Give your input into the proposed changes to OW and ODSP at a "Community
Conversation" over lunch!

Attend a debate between pro-nuclear and pro-renewable energy experts. What
direction should our Ontario government take to meet Ontario's energy needs?
How desirable or important is nuclear? Be part of our voting audience!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=109495035817098

View and discuss a locally filmed documentary which asks politicians and
citizens from Waterloo Region what democracy means to them

Discuss your opinons of how to improve our democracy, and meet and learn from
others doing the same, at a Democracy Cafe, "World Cafe" style!

Enter a contest at Waterloo Public Square to win $100 by reflecting on the
strengths of our democracy today

Attend the first meeting of a Fair Vote Canada club at University of Waterloo!

http://www.fairvote.ca/en/democracy-week-events-kitchener-waterloo

>From Fair Vote's perspective, the purpose of Democracy Week in Canada is to
create an annual opportunity, whether there is an election on the horizon or
not, to engage the public in issues facing our democracy, including electoral
reform.

"The need for proportional representation - to give each citizen a vote that
counts, resulting in a parliament that reflects what voters want - is closely
tied to effecting change in so many areas", says Anita Nickerson, a member of
Fair Vote Canada's Waterloo Region chapter.

The week was chosen to fall around the annual United Nations International Day
of Democracy on September 15.

"We invite community groups from all points on the political spectrum, concerned
with a wide range of issues, to participate."

Any individual or group is welcome to host an event. For more information,
contact Anita (519) 568-7655, lanickerson at b2b2c.ca