[fvc-wat-announce] Let's see Kitchener-Waterloo Shine!! Help me with the Canada Day Action

Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Tue Jun 19 12:36:19 EDT 2012

Hi Fair Vote Canada Waterloo supporters!

Fair Vote Canada is moving in a new strategy direction as we look to 2015 as a real and exciting possibility of achieving proportional representation in Canada. One aspect of this strategy will be to develop strategic partnerships with allies who can help us get the message out there in language that connects with people - to let people concerned about so many issues right know that electoral reform is the gamechanger. The second strategy focus is going to be on action: building up our supporters on the ground and doing things in communities across Canada that make an impact.

Thanks to you, Fair Vote Canada Waterloo has always been leading the way in this respect, with the multitude of successful events, fairs, speaking engagements etc. We will still be doing all of these things, but we will also be taking action as part of a growing, coordinated effort. Fair Vote Canada is going to put out a call to action to all it's supporters about once a month.

Our first action is going to start on Canada Day and I need your help.

Something like this will be going out in a national mailout in a few days - please take a look.

http://www.fairvote.ca/action/canadaday

We have created a petition calling for proportional representation - the type of paper petition, specific to each riding in Canada, that can be presented in the House of Commons. To ask an MP to present the petition, we need at least 25 signatures from constituents in a riding. I know we can do better than that in Kitchener-Waterloo and Kitchener-Centre!  Our big goal is to have petitions from all 308 ridings to present to local MPs in a visible way, asking them to present them in the House.

We can start collecting signatures now, but we are putting out a big call to all our supporters to collect signatures on Canada Day and up to July 5.

Can you help Fair Vote Canada succeeed by collecting signatures? It's easy.  Here's what to do:

1) Print off the petition. (You may want to print off three - for people who live in Kitchener Centre, Kitchener-Waterloo and Kitchener Conestoga).

2) Ask your friends, family, neighbours, people you know or meet, to sign.

3) On July 5, mail the petition to FVC, or email me and I will come pick it up from you. I don't care if there are 5 or 5 signatures on it - every signature helps.

If you can take some photos of people signing for our Action page, great - photos of people coast to coast is very inspiring :)

We will be keeping track of every riding where someone signs up, putting a larger counter on the national site, and the number of signatures collected.

Please let me know if you can participate by either emailing me - lanickerson at b2b2c.ca - or by signing up on the Canada Day Action page.

Thanks so much,

Anita