[fvc-wat-announce] On Nelson Mandela

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 01:56:44 EST 2013

Hello Fair Voting Friends,

Bye now everyone is aware that one the great world figures of the 20th
century, Nelson Mandela passed away yesterday.

His passing was expected, he had been ill for awhile but his passing gives
one cause to think of who he was and his enormous legacy.  My family & I
spoke about him this evening.  One of my sons was only vaguely aware of
Nelson Mandela and why he is important. It didn't take much thinking to say
his life inspired millions around the world to take up the challenge to
fight for social justice. He dedicated his life to working for the end of
apartheid because he believed that positive change was possible even in the
face of overwhelming odds. His belief in the basic dignity of each and
every person inspired hope and action.

There are times when the work to establish a democratic voting system in
Canada so all our voices are heard & respected in our Parliament seems
impossible. It's too far away with too many overwhelming obstacles to
overcome.  And then, there is the life and achievements of Nelson Mandela
to remind us to not give up, not give in and to keep working for what one
knows to be fair and just.

Sometimes inspiration is hard to come bye but tonight, thinking of Nelson
Mandela, anything seems possible with enough dedication and hard work. I
want to thank all of you who help support the movement toward a fair &
equitable electoral system in Canada on which we can build a fair &
equitable society for all Canadians.

And, thank you, Nelson Mandela.

Wishing You Well,

Sharon