[fvc-wat-announce] Write and Vote for Democracy Today

Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Sat Feb 2 16:33:28 EST 2013

If you are not on our national mailing list, this is a very important initiative of Fair Vote Canada. We have an astonishing opportunity here to move proportional representation forward in Canada by electing a Liberal leader in favour of PR. We couldn't be in a better position in 2015 if we have 3 parties committed to PR or a process that will get us there, and we can make it happen if enough of us sign up.

Anita

        a.. Frequently Asked Questions b.. Join/Donate c.. TAKE ACTION! d.. Contact Us
            Invitation to Fair Voters to Advance PR within theLiberal Party

            Within the leadership contest there are signs of hopeful movement on democratic reform. Fair Vote Canada's Liberals for Fair Voting caucus is inviting all Fair Voters interested in advancing proportional representation within the Liberal Party of Canada to take action.
            Anita Nickerson anita.nickerson at fairvote.ca
            On behalf of the Fair Vote Canada Action Committee
            Please forward www.fairvotetakeaction.org to your contacts

            Register and Write –Today-- for Democracy!

            www.fairvotetakeaction.org

            You and all Canadians from coast to coast have an astonishing chance to reshape Liberalism and democratize the Canadian voting system.

            In an unprecedented experiment the Liberal Party of Canada is allowing all Canadians to choose its new leader.

            Of the nine Liberal leadership candidates only one at this point – Joyce Murray, MP for Vancouver Quadra – is calling for equal effective votes and proportional representation in Parliament. She is proposing cross-party electoral cooperation in the 2015 general election to achieve government and enact democratic voting reform.

            All  Fair Voters should now use their  networks to drum up, from today until the close of registration on March 3, the largest possible vote for the Liberal candidate most favourable to our goal. We want democratic voting reform enacted soon after the general election of 2015.

            Once registered as Liberal supporters through the Joyce Murray campaign, or, for those who prefer, through the Liberal Party of Canada, we should pound the offices and websites of all nine Liberal leadership candidates with letters singing variations of one core message: Canadians need equal effective votes and proportional representation in a democratic Parliament – and we want them as soon as possible after the election of 2015.

            We will not be alone in pressing the Liberal Party to champion democratic reform.  Social media and non-governmental organizations will spread the word quickly.

            We can influence or even decide the Liberal leadership and change the course of Canadian politics if we all act together to make our voices heard now.

            If we do our part well, all  three opposition parties will go into the 2015 campaign with a firm commitment to deliver a proportional and democratic electoral system. Greens and New Democrats already share this goal. The missing ingredient for a democratic breakthrough is the Liberal Party of Canada, and we can bring it into the democratic camp.*

            Become a Liberal "supporter" now, at no cost,  and be able to vote online or by phone in the Liberal leadership race. Any Canadian not a member of another political party  can sign up until March 3. Some people are resigning their membership in other parties long enough to take part in the Liberal decision.

            Fair Vote Canada has sent a questionnaire to all nine Liberal candidates asking their position on proportional representation. Check back regularly on Liberals for Fair Voting for updates right up to voting week April 6 to April 14.

            Prepare to say goodbye to safe seats, phony majorities, negative voting, placebo ballots, orphaned voters and taxation without representation. With your help, representative democracy is coming to Canada.

            Today, let’s get registered, and start writing: Write and Vote for a Vote that Counts.

            Yours for a democratic Canada,

            John Deverell, Pickering-Scarborough East FLA and Chair, Liberals for Fair Voting

            David Merner, www.DavidMerner.ca, Victoria FLA

            Nancy Leblanc, Policy Action Co-Chair, Parkdale-High Park FLA

            Ryan Campbell, Newton North-Delta, Fair Vote Canada National Councillor

            Jennifer Ross, Kitchener Centre FLA, Kitchener-Waterloo FLA

            Inscrivez-vous et prononcez-vous - Aujourd'hui - pour la démocratie!

            www.fairvotetakeaction.org

            Une invitation à faire progresser la représentation proportionnelle au sein du Parti libéral.

            Chers partisans du vote équitable :

            Vous et tous les canadiens d'un océan à l'autre ont une chance inouïe de remodeler le libéralisme et démocratiser le mode de scrutin électoral au Canada.

            Dans une expérience sans précédent, le Parti libéral du Canada permet à tous les canadiens de choisir son nouveau chef.

            Sur les neuf candidats à la direction du Parti libéral, un seul en ce moment - Joyce Murray, députée de Vancouver Quadra - propose la coopération électorale entre les partis en 2015 ainsi qu’une Commission royale sur la réforme électorale.

            Tous les partisans du vote équitable devrait maintenant utiliser leurs réseaux pour battre le rappel, à partir d'aujourd'hui et jusqu'à la clôture des inscriptions le 3 mars, pour atteindre le plus grand nombre de vote possible pour le candidat libéral le plus favorable à notre objectif. Nous voulons une réforme démocratique du mode de scrutin qui soit adoptée peu de temps après l'élection générale de 2015.

            Une fois inscrits en tant que partisans libéraux nous devrions inonder les bureaux et les sites Web de chacun des neuf candidats à la direction du Parti libéral avec un message central: les canadiens veulent un mode de scrutin plus efficace et la représentation proportionnelle dans un parlement démocratique - et nous le voulons le plus rapidement possible après l'élection de 2015.

            Nous ne sommes pas les seuls à pousser le Parti libéral à promouvoir la réforme démocratique. Les médias sociaux vont passer le mot rapidement. Leadnow.ca est à bord et d'autres organisations avec de grandes listes courriel vont se mobiliser dans les jours à venir.

            Nous pouvons influencer, voire déterminer la direction du Parti libéral et changer le cours de la politique canadienne si nous agissons maintenant tous ensemble pour faire entendre nos voix.

            Si nous faisons bien notre part, tous les trois partis d'opposition entreront dans la campagne 2015 avec un engagement ferme de livrer un système électoral proportionnel et démocratique. Les verts et néo-démocrates partagent déjà cet objectif. L'ingrédient manquant pour une percée démocratique est le Parti libéral du Canada, et nous pouvons le faire entrer dans le camp de la démocratie. *

            Devenez un "supporteur" du parti libéral maintenant, sans frais, et soyez en mesure de voter en ligne ou par téléphone dans la course au leadership du Parti libéral. Tout canadien qui n’est pas membre d'un autre parti politique peut s'inscrire jusqu'au 3 mars. Certaines personnes démissionnent de leur appartenance à d'autres partis juste assez longtemps pour prendre part à la décision des libéraux.

            Représentation équitable Canada a envoyé un questionnaire à l'ensemble des neuf candidats libéraux qui leur demande leur position sur la représentation proportionnelle. Revenez régulièrement sur le site Liberals for Fair Voting pour les mises à jour d’information jusqu'à la semaine du vote du 6 avril au 14 avril.

            Préparez-vous à dire adieu aux sièges garantis, aux prétendues majorités, au vote négatif, aux votations placebo, aux électeurs orphelins, et à l'imposition sans représentation. Avec votre aide, la démocratie représentative deviendra une réalité au Canada.

            Aujourd'hui, allons nous enregistrer, et commencer à écrire: Écrivez et votez pour un vote qui compte.

            Avec vous pour une société démocratique au Canada,

            John Deverell

            Président, Libéraux pour le vote équitable

            David Merner, www.DavidMerner.ca, Victoria FLA

            Nancy Leblanc, Policy Action Co-Chair, Parkdale-High Park FLA

            Jennifer Ross, Kitchener Centre FLA, Kitchener-Waterloo FLA

            Ryan Campbell, Libéraux pour le vote équitable Vancouver, et membre du Conseil nationale du REC

            Fair Vote Canada

            3 Macdonell Avenue #302
            Toronto, ON M6R 2A3
            Canada

            Unsubscribe to the Fair Vote Canada email list by clicking here

        a.. Frequently Asked Questions b.. Join/Donate c.. TAKE ACTION! d.. Contact Us