[fvc-wat-announce] Update on our meeting with Harold Albrecht, Party Nominations & Robocall Town Hall

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:07:51 EST 2015

Good Morning FairVoting Supporters,

Happy Friday, there are three things to talk about this morning: an update
on our meeting with Harold Albrecht, party nomination meetings & Sunday's
town hall on the Robocall crisis.

Our Meeting with Harold Albrecht
On Tuesday morning, a group of five supporters of voting reform met with
Harold Albrecht, MP for Kitchener-Conestoga for 45 minutes.  While there
was no conversion on the road to Ottawa, we had a courteous, straight
forward discussion about ensuring that every vote cast is equal & effective
in sending a representative to Ottawa.  Harold accepted our petition
requesting electoral reform and committed to presenting it to the House of
Commons.   The key is to keep sending the message to our elected
representatives that equal & effective votes is an issue that matters to
voters.  We can influence our local MP's by sending the message over &
over.  If you can email, write, phone or visit. Many thanks to Jean
Pellegrini-Cook, David Weber, Laurel Russwurm & Dr. Betsey Daub for the
excellent team work during our meeting with Harold.

Party Nomination Meetings
In the lead up to the last unfair election latter this year, all the
parties are having nomination meetings in the next 6 - 8 weeks.  Nomination
meetings may seem dull but they are the bedrock of candidate selection. One
of those candidates will go on to become a MP and for the ambitious
possibly a cabinet minister, party leader or even prime minister. We want
to send as many strong PR supporting MPs as possible to Ottawa so we
encourage you to choose your party, become a member & support the candidate
that will take the message of voting reform to Ottawa. Membership cut offs
are coming up so you have to join soon to be eligible to vote at a
nomination meeting.  Each riding association for each party has a website
which will be the place to start to find out about the candidates and the
nomination meeting.  Choose you party, join now & support the candidate who
most strongly supports PR, what could be more fun!

Town Hall on Robocall Crisis
This Sunday, the Guelph FVC chapter is hosting a town hall on the Robocall
crisis.  It promises to be an interesting event as Professor Emeritus
Michael Keefer who is completing a book on the Robocall crisis will give
the big picture of the crisis, Anna Budra, returning officer for Guelph
will give an impact statement, voters who received calls will speak and
there will be an overview of the Sona trail. The town hall is this Sunday,
 2 - 4 pm at St. James, the Apostle Church, 86 Glasgow St. North in
Guelph.  The poster for the town hall is attached.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of proportional
representation.  Working together, 2015 will be our last unfair election.

Kind regards,
Sharon Sommerville
for FVC-WR