[fvc-wat-announce] [fvc-wat-disc] PR WON IN PEI !!!

Anita Nickerson anitann88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:55:54 EST 2016

I am so thrilled with the PEI win. I was such a cynic about this. People
out there worked very very hard. I think what happened is the same thing
that happened in our federal public consultations:

*The people who understood the problem and care about this issue showed up.*

Here is what I find incredibly ironic:

MMP referendum PEI 2005: 36% DECLARED LOSS

MMP referendum PEI 2015 29% of first choice preferences for MMP: DECLARED
WIN

MMP referendum ON 2007: 37% DECLARED LOSS

STV referendum BC 2005 58%: DECLARED LOSS

STV referendum BC 2009 37%: DECLARED LOSS

Once in a while the politicians set it up to fail, people work really hard
and their plan backfires!!

*I have never had a good thing to say before about a winner-take-all ranked
ballot to unite PR options until today.*

What it made clear was that on the first ballot, while FPTP had the
plurality, MMP and DMP together had 50.05% of the vote. A real majority.

If the politicians in Ontario and BC had given people a second PR option I
wonder what the result would have been.

I still think this is not a topic for a referendum for all the reasons we
know very well. But when the opponents's own tool comes back and wacks them
in the face once in a while, I can't complain!!

Anita