[fvc-wat-announce] The home stretch for electoral reform

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:13:18 EST 2017

Hello and Happy New Year!,

This month, we are moving into the home stretch for electoral reform.
After a very busy and at times controversial summer and fall of MP,
ministerial & committee consultations, tabling of the ERRE report and the
arrival of the mydemocracy.ca survey, the government recently confirmed
that they are on track to introduce legislation on electoral reform in
May.  This means that when the House re-convenes latter this month, Liberal
MPs will be taking action on electoral reform.  We have a little over 2
weeks to convince our four regional Liberal MPs  that they should support
proportional representation when they talk in caucus or cabinet.

The best tool we have is to talk or write to our respective MP. It isn't
too late to get an appointment with your MP or if an appointment isn't
possible, write an email or letter.  Can you take a few minutes to book an
appointment, write an email or letter?  Our local Liberal MPs have been
resolute in their public neutrality on electoral reform but they will be
making this important decision in the coming weeks in caucus and cabinet.
This is possibly our last opportunity to let our MPs know that they have a
responsibility to honour their campaign promise to make every vote count.
Please let them know that fairness, equality, accountability, good
governance and local representation are all possible through proportional
representation and nothing else will fulfill their promise to make every
vote count.

Contact information for all MPs can be found here:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members

Please let me know if you can help make fair elections a reality in 2019!

All the best in 2017,
Sharon
for FVC-WR