[fvc-wat-announce] The Vote Has Been Counted And The Question Is What Do Liberals Stand For?

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Wed May 31 22:03:36 EDT 2017

Dear FairVoting Supporters,

Today, the House of Commons voted 159 to 146 against adopting the
recommendations of the Electoral Reform Committee. Two Liberal MPs voted
for the motion: Nathaniel Erskine-Smith (Beaches-East York) and Sean Casey
(Charlottetown).  Our thanks to MPs Erskine-Smith and Casey for keeping the
promise they campaigned on and standing up for what they believe in.

Our local Liberal MPs did not support the motion.  We have heard a variety
of reasons: couldn't support an NDP motion, couldn't support a referendum
and no national consensus on change or a voting system.

We elected the Liberal Party to offer leadership on electoral reform. For
electoral reform, leadership means making the case for change.  Instead of
leading, the LPC hid behind a bogus consultation process and claimed there
was no consensus.

Strengthening Canada's democracy through establishing a fair and equitable
electoral system is non-partisan issue because democracy is a non-partisan
issue.

There are a number of ways to deal with a referendum if there is the will
to do so but if you are looking for a backdoor, you will find one.

*The movement toward a fair voting system for Canada isn't over, it isn't
even close.*

More Canadians than ever understand the need for electoral reform. We will
keep working until Canada has an electoral system that serves Canadians not
just the two largest political parties.  This issue is alive and will be an
election issue in 2019.

Tonight Liberal MPs across the country should be asking themselves what
they actually stand for; as Anita Nickerson's outstanding letter in
yesterday's Record said: if you don't represent your campaign promises and
you don't represent the evidence and you don't represent the wishes of your
constituents, what do you represent?

See the full letter here:

https://www.therecord
.com/opinion-story/7341308-government-should-keep-its-promise/

So many thanks to everyone who phoned their MPs, who put in hours
canvassing, who visited your MP or wrote letters to the Record and their
MP.  What an amazing effort and a great campaign! Thank you all!

FVC-WR will be at the tri-Pride festival this Saturday from noon to 8 pm in
Victoria Park. It is always a great day and the weather promises to be
sunny and warm.   Please come and see us there!

Onward!
Sharon
for FVC-WR