[fvc-wat-announce] FVC-WR this week

Sharon Sommerville sharonsommerville at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:24:45 EST 2018

Hello Everyone,

Just in case you missed Dave Arthur's excellent letter about PR published
in Wednesday's Record, here is the online link:

https://www.therecord
.com/opinion-story/9042296-electoral-system-undemocratic/

On Wednesday afternoon, Bob Jonkman and I gave a presentation to about 40
Laurier students about activism and electoral reform.  The students were
interested and raised many good questions. Our thanks to Prof. Andrea
Perrella for the invitation to address his students.  We appreciate all
opportunities to speak with community groups; if you have connections to
community groups that would like a presentation on any aspect of electoral
reform, please let us know.

Our monthly meeting is next Wednesday, October 28th at 7 pm in the
community room at the Bread & Roses Housing Co-op, 307 Queen Street South
(corner of Courtland) in Kitchener. It should be a very interesting evening
as Evan Rosamond will present a synopsis of David Van Reybrouck's "Against
Elections:The Case for Democracy".  Reybrouck makes a compelling argument
to end elections in favour of selecting legislators as we choose jury
members; randomly from the voters list.  We are anticipating an engaging
discussion!

Hope to see you soon,

Sharon Sommerville
for FVC-WR