[fvc-wat-announce] Discussion Night at 7pm Wed, 27 Feb 2019 in the Community Room at Bread&Roses

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Feb 25 21:39:51 EST 2019

Hi everyone: February is a short month, so the last Wednesday of the
month has arrived well before I'm ready for it.  But our Discussion
Night is on!

*What*: Fair Vote Waterloo Discussion Night
*When*: Wednesday, 27 February 2019 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
*Where*: Community Room, Bread and Roses Co-op
*Location*: 307 Queen Street South, Kitchener
*Map*: https://osm.org/go/ZXnwTLMg--?m=

Last month we had a combination Executive and Strategy meeting. If you
weren't able to be there you can read the meeting notes at
http://www.fairvotewrc.ca/meetings/2019-january-executive-and-strategy-meeting/

There's a bit of old business that needs to be taken care of: We want to
move our website http://fairvotewrc.ca to a new server, which needs some
funding. We'll hear from the people who volunteered to help with
fundraising, and we'll make a decision on how to proceed.

In the Strategy Meeting there was talk of having a big annual event,
tentatively for July or August. We can discuss what format this will
take, and solicit volunteers to make it happen. People who aren't at
Discussion Night may be cheerfully volunteered in absentia!

And what to discuss? For those of you into Social Media, you may have
seen some discussion on "Electoral Reform" vs. "Proportional
Representation". While the mandate for Fair Vote Canada is strictly to
advocate for proportional representation, there are many other aspects
to our electoral system that could stand improvement, eg. term limits,
abolishing whipped votes, or reducing the power of the PMO.

* BC's Green Party leader introduces private member's bill to limit MLAs
to three terms:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/out-with-the-old-mlas-in-with-the-new-says-green-party-leader-1.5029035

* Scott Simms Says Party Whips Have Devoled Parliament:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/15/scott-simms-party-discipline-whips_a_23435478/

* John Milloy: Yes, the PMO should be reformed:
https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9189493-john-milloy-yes-the-pmo-should-be-reformed-but-actually-doing-it-will-be-a-tall-order/

As always, if you're driving please park in the north lot, and place a
note in your window:

*Meeting in Community Room re Apt 107 from 7-9pm*

North Parking Lot Map: https://osm.org/go/ZXnwTL0rw--?m=

See you on Wednesday!
--Bob.