[fvc-wat-disc] CommunityEvents/Local Orgs/Derek's Practice Talks

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 15 19:58:07 EST 2006

	A few quick things:

	0. We now have a profile on CommunityEvents, an events-listing
website. Currently the website is not so spectacular, but in the near
future it will provide e-mail handouts and RSS feeds of events.

	1. After Larry's (poorly attended) talk on Tuesday, Derek
mentioned that we should focus on starting a Speakers Bureau and giving
talks for established groups, much as Shannon organized for Thursday and
Derek will present on Monday.

	Would you like to be on this bureau and give some talks?

	What community groups might we approach? I am thinking community
centres, lecture series, activist groups, and so on, but I do not have
many specific names.

	2. Derek will be practicing his talk on Sunday. A few of us (where
few might be 1) are meeting him at the WPIRG office (Student Life Centre
2139 at the UW campus) on Sunday at 1pm to listen to his talk and offer
suggestions, and ask hard questions. ("So PR is a voting system for
losers, right?") You are invited, particularly if you are interested in
getting involved with the Speaker's Bureau.