[fvc-wat-disc] Notes from Monday's conference call

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 21:57:22 EDT 2007

Hi folks:

As promised, here are some highlights from the conference call on Monday.

- I gave them an update on our progress, and asked them about the
ballot question.  I don't think they've realized just how bad the
question is -- it doesn't say "MMP" anywhere on the ballot.

- All cheques should be sent to the Central office, and made out to
"Vote for MMP".  Donations to the local chapter should specify
"Waterloo Region" in the memo, and explicitly designate whether it's
for advertising, non-advertising, or either.

- Any materials that say "Vote for MMP" must go through the provincial
office, and be authorized by the CFO.

- Instead of printing brochures, we've been asked to use the OCA
brochures for any mass distribution, and use our own brochures mainly
for events.  Provincial has printed yellow stickies that they attach
to the brochures.  We should evaluate whether to use these or our own
inserts.

- Provincial received a shipment of posters last week.  We should
contact them again if we haven't received any.

- For any problems, phoning the provincial office is best.

- Provincial would like to have "riding captains" for each riding in
the next week (so our group would have 4 captains), and would like to
beef up the volunteer contingent in each riding.

- We should be sending our contact lists to provincial, to expand the
database, and give everyone a chance to involve themselves in either
organization.  They're also interested in building a list of prominent
MMP supporters from local communities.

- There will be an action guide for the last 40 days of the campaign, including:
    * Coordinated labour day activities, involving printed balloons
for the children
    * Something once a week for the final 8 weeks
    * Banner blitzes in commuter areas
    * Shopping Mall distributions
    * Rally event for the final week
    * Province-wide victory parties on Oct. 10

- Provincial isn't as worried about partisan optics, since the
"Liberals for MMP" are well-established.  Party canvassers shouldn't
identify with our campaign though -- just distribute the OCA
materials.

- For fun, there will be a "Billy Ballot Fan Club", with website,
T-shirts, and press conference - hoping Rick Mercer and George
Strombopoulis will be interested.

- Some investigation is now going on for group liability insurance,
since this has been a requirement for some festivals.

- The provincial office may make a downloadable lawn sign, but they
want to discuss how much people are spending on this (since it's very
expensive).

- There was also talk of making bumper stickers.

- For web presence, the provincial campaign will be integrating
volunteering, donations, and mailing list sign up.  Online donations
are now working.

- The FPTP campaign is focusing on attacking list candidates.  Steve
Withers has posted more information on the website about this.  In
general, we need to focus on our strong points rather than responding
to their scattered points.

- The feeling is that this campaign is winnable, though late FPTP
advertising might knock us off our stride -- thinking of ways to
counter that.

- The more people are informed, the more they support MMP.

- This conference call was seen as a success.  Another will be planned
for early September.

FACT: In 2003, 30% of Toronto voted Conservative.  No Conservatives
were elected from Toronto.

That's all for now.  Sorry I can't make it to the meeting.  I will
e-mail an update.

Later,
Kevin.