[fvc-wat-disc] Fwd: RE: Fair Vote Canada

Derek Kraan derek.kraan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 00:00:09 EST 2007

I think a club on campus is a great idea. We have to jump through some
hoops, but I don't think it will be too onerous. The Carleton group has had
great success with activities like doing classroom visits (for which I can
supply the materials). Here's a relevant email from their leader on campus:

Carleton Fair Vote Club Speaks to Students
January 2007
 The Carleton University Fair Vote Club undertook to have club members visit
as many political science classes as possible and give
short presentations about then-upcoming Ontario Citizens' Assembly
meetings.  Most PoliSci professors were generally open to us speaking for a
few minutes on the topic because it was pertient, it was timely, and we were
a group of Carleton students.  At each class
visit, either the 1792 brochure or the more detailed Guide booklet
was distributed to all students; each PoliSci prof also received a kit with
these and more information about electoral reform and Fair
Vote Canada, inviting them to contact us for further resources or if
they wanted a speaker to visit their class and discuss the issue in
more depth.  In total over 2,300 students in more than a dozen
classes were reached in this manner.
The Club also participated in "Clubs & Societies Days" events at the
beginning of each semester, which was an opportunity to talk to hundreds of
students daily in the main University Centre about the
Club.  We used this opportunity to focus on informing passing
students and faculty of the Citizens Assembly and probable upcoming
referendum.  Over 600 brochures were distributed in this way as well.
These activities show that a large number of students (voters who are
generally very receptive to our cause) can be reached quickly through
a campus club.  A group perceived as an outside lobbying organisation
might not gain access as easily.  This may be an important consideration in
September when the next academic year starts and the
referendum campaign is in full swing.
Andy Blair
Carleton University Fair Vote Club http://www.mirsaya.com/cufvc <http:///>