[fvc-wat-disc] Conservatives & concerns

Rick Fairman rickyfairman at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 1 11:28:07 EDT 2007

Thanks for your response Paul.  The points you make are very interesting and
perhaps overly optimistic regarding the implied degree of altruism that
pervades our civilization.

I observe our society as hugely competitive wherein many seek advantages
over their fellows economically, influentially and otherwise, which is why I
see a disincentive to the reform of a system which often rewards
disproportionately the two parties in question.  It's like if you bought
something for ten dollars, paid the cashier the ten and got back twenty
dollars change.  There are some who would point out the mistake and not take
advantage and others who wouldn't.  Just what portion of which is at large
in society is anybody's guess, but I fear it is significant for the latter.

Ethically, within a nation claiming to espouse democracy, FPTP is just plain
wrong---it should be obvious.  Why isn't it to many?  The reason, I believe,
at least some Conservatives and Liberals don't want FVC to present is that
they are afraid they may become convicted of this fact.  There is a
disincentive to want to listen if it means giving up some of their excessive
influence and power.  The need is to somehow awaken people's innate sense of
decency and fairness.

Another problem, I believe, is fear ("stick with the devil you know").
People would much rather have a dictator than chaos.  And chaos is what is
being pushed at people by MMP's detractors.  A strategy to assuage people's
fear by pointing out MMP's successes is needed.  Is there some kind of
quick-reference guide to such successes?

These are some of the challenges, I think we need to effectively face.
Thanks.

Rick