[fvc-wat-disc] Record monitors

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 12:16:36 EDT 2007

I think I'll maybe do a letter as well (and do another one in
September/October).

I'll post it here first, so please comment:

Dear Editor:

A lot of people still don't know about the new Mixed Member Proportional
(MMP) electoral system that we'll be voting on during the October 10th
election, so I encourage everyone to spread the word.

Fans of First-Past-The-Post (the current system) say that MMP will result in
MPPs that are appointed rather than elected. However, each party will have
to explain how they created their list.  To avoid embarrassment, they will
want to have as open and democratic a process as possible. This should
actually be a more open and democratic way to choose party candidates.

They also talk about the cost. However, MPPs are entrusted to spend billions
of dollars of taxpayers' money. Is it not better, under MMP, to have that
money controlled by those who actually represent a majority of voters, and
whose diverse makeup more closely reflects that of our society? Giving one
party a 4-year blank cheque to spend our money as they wish (or cut
cherished programs) is hardly better than spending a relatively modest
amount to get the representation that Ontario citizens deserve.

You can find out more about fair voting at
http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion.

(word count: 199, max is 200)

Kevin Smith.