[fvc-wat-disc] MMP questions

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri May 4 09:10:59 EDT 2007

 	I have some questions about the proposed system for Ontario that I
would like to clear up for the information night, and I hope people on the
list have been following the decision closer than I have:

 	0. Is there protection against the "decoy list" attack in this
system? If so, what is the protection?

 	1. My understanding is that parties need not run any riding
candidates in order to to appear on the party ballot in every Ontario
riding. Is this correct? If so, what criteria are used to determine what
parties appear on the ballot?

 	2. If the referndum passes, will it be re-evaluated at some set
date? If so, how will the evaluation be done?

 	3. Does marking only one checkmark on the two-checkmark ballot
spoil the ballot?

 	4. Will list MPPs have the option of opening offices in
constituencies? Will this be mandatory? Will people be able to take their
concerns to either the riding MPP or some list MPP?

 	5. Can list MPPs defect to other parties or sit as independents?

 	6. Are there any geographic representation guarantees for the list
MPPs? Could they all come from North Bay, for instance?

 	7. Does this version of MMP offer any guarantees against
second-place majorities? (My guess is that it does not, partially because
we got rid of overhangs. However, I could be wrong.)

 	(If these questions sound familiar it is because many of them were
raised in the Law Commission of Canada's report.)

 	While I am here, maybe I can ask some questions not direcly
related to the new system, but which I would like to know in preparation
for public speaking:

 	0. A big reason we are going with a closed-list system is to get
more women elected. But if you look at
 	http://www.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm
you will see that other countries using MMP systems don't do that well.
Germany and New Zealand do okay, but others (Bolivia, Venezuala, etc) do
poorly. This undermines the argument that parties will be ashamed to run
unbalanced party lists. Other than saying "Ontario is sophisticated and
civilized" what is the response to this?

 	1. Will people who are Ontario citizens out of province on Oct 10
be allowed to vote in the referendum?

 	2. Are there any known cases of second-place majorities where the
party that finished second in seats actually got over 50% of the vote?

Paul Nijjar - http://www.fairvotecanada.org/WaterlooRegion
Next electoral reform info night: Tuesday May 8, 7pm