[fvc-wat-disc] Response to Peter Hughes' letter

ARI DAIGEN adaigen at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 1 09:28:11 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Again, here's a letter in the Record today:
http://news.therecord.com/Opinions/article/249694

I took the liberty of writing a response to it (below). I think this guy
unwittingly made a great case for MMP, and my response points that out.
Unfortunately, I've used up my quota with the Record until after the
referendum. If anyone out there (who maybe doesn't have time to write a
letter him/herself) would like to send this in to the Record under their own
name, please go ahead. (letters at therecord.com) I think it's a point that
should be made.

Best wishes,

Ari

Here's the letter that could be sent:

In his October 1 letter, Peter Hughes argues that NDP and Green supporters
should vote Liberal because "in the Kitchener-Waterloo riding, a vote for
NDP/Green is effectively a vote for the Progressive Conservatives."  He also
argues that potential Conservative voters should vote Liberal because it is
Liberals who will form the government, and only by having a government MPP
will Kitchener-Waterloo be represented in provincial decisions.

Choosing a candidate you don't like to avoid one you despise? No
representation in government if your riding elects an MPP from the wrong
party? The solution to these problems isn't to vote for any particular
party--it's to change the system.

Hughes' letter shows that if we really want a say in how our province is
run, we must vote for a mixed-member proportional (MMP) electoral system in
the October 10 referendum.