[fvc-wat-disc] Minutes from Oct 2 volunteer meeting

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:29:05 EDT 2007

Fair Vote Canada - Waterloo Region chapter
Volunteer meeting, Oct. 2, 2007, 8:30 pm
Bryn Ossington's House, 57 Laurel St., Waterloo.

Present: Angela, Derek, Josh, Bryn, Kevin.

1. Agenda approved.

2. Minutes from Sept. 22, 2007 approved.

3. Provincial Report
	- Poll: 50% STILL don't know about referendum
	- We will get signs from Toronto on Wednesday, and install Thursday
	- Provincial will be running radio ads as part of their campaign
	- Angela will be getting more brochures if they're available

4. Financial Report
(financial statement in Excel is available on request)
	- statement had $2188 surplus, reflecting $1500 donation from CAW.
	- still waiting to hear from OSSTF Local 24 (though it's a moot point now)
	- Jacob's student council donation didn't go through
	- decided to reimburse Kevin $218 for Farmer's Market table, Bryn $45
for gas, and
		Graham $150 for flyers (bank account will be used for Paul's
pre-referendum expenses)
	- Cambridge group has raised $730 and has spent $550, leaving $180 to spend.
	- we estimated that 160 stakes for large lawn signs would cost $250
	- this leaves $1500 to spend.  We decided to earmark it for radio ads
on local stations.
		(96.7 CHYM FM, 570 News, Oldies 1090, and 105.3 KOOL FM)
	- since provincial is working on radio ads, we will ask them to spend
our $1500 on buying
		spots on our local radio stations
	- we discussed other options (newspapers, more signs, electronic
sign, etc.), but we
		rejected those either because they gave less bang for the buck than
the radio ads,
		or the turnaround was too long for this point in the campaign.
	- Kevin will discuss reimbursement for lawn signs with Bronwen, so we
might divert some
		money to that.
	- That spends all the money we have!  Yay!

5. Large Lawn Signs
	- made arrangements: Bob will pick signs up, Bryn and Josh will get
stakes on Wednesday
	- Derek, Angela, Nancy, Bryn, and Josh will work on putting signs up
on Thursday

6. Referendum night gathering
  	- in Waterloo, looking at Dooly's, the Duke, or Ethel's on the Wednesday.
	- Donna is having a gathering at her house the Friday after.

7. Meeting adjourned at 9:40 PM