[fvc-wat-disc] Responding to the Record's stupid editorial

ARI DAIGEN adaigen at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 6 12:09:15 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I have another letter that anyone can send to the Record who hasn't already
been published. Their editorial today *really* ticked me off, *completely*
stupid reasoning, and they should be flamed for it. Here's what I wrote, if
you want to put your name on it, please do so and send!

Ari

(Title) The Record is wrong--MMP increases democracy

While the Record should be praised for the attention that it has given to
the issue of electoral reform, its October 6 editorial on the subject missed
the forest for the trees.

It claimed that the proposed mixed-member system will harm local
representation and give too much power to party leaders--as if party leaders
don't completely dominate the backbenchers that are supposed to "represent"
individual ridings under the current system. It also treats as a minor
detail the most important fact about the current system: that under it,
Ontarians consistently get majority governments that most of them voted
against.

Voting for mixed-member proportional representation on October 10 is the
most important thing that any of us can do to improve democracy in Ontario.