[fvc-wat-disc] Saturday's editorial in the Record

Alida and George burrettga at golden.net
Tue Oct 9 06:25:15 EDT 2007

John Roe "and the rest of the editorial board" are "looking over their
shoulders" of course, a physical posture occasioned by their predilection
for employment.
Al Gore points to the "over the shoulder" phenom in his "The Assault on
Reason" - and we are certainly witnessing an assault on reason here - by
which he explains how "the media" let America down and gave the world Iraq
and climate change denial views in "balanced" news stories and opinion
pieces.

They have to appear "balanced" in a liberal press that appeals, like the
editorial, to "the people". But always, finally, the scales somehow are
tipped  in favour of the advertiser's position, people be damned.
You have to be a working newsie (or member of a community editorial board)
and watch the publisher trolling for ways to keep the investors happy to
fully appreciate this.

Read Naomi Klein. From her work will come an assessment of  how a generation
also missed  putting together the events described in Shock Doctrine.
Gore, an old newsie, knows.
And like Richard Dawkins in "The God Delusion", Gore laments the loss of
reasoning of America's "founding fathers" (Jefferson, et al).

But take heart. Out there, in the jungles of  'burbia,  discerning readers
have also made this assessment, and will have been made glad by seeing that
Jeffersonian (Macdonaldian?) spirit alive and well, thanks to the efforts of
the progressive folks behind the pro-MMP campaign.

George