[fvc-wat-disc] Surplus not spent

ARI DAIGEN adaigen at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 12 20:38:31 EDT 2007

I don't know how far that kind of money would go. But the thought of a
referendum recap research project certainly crossed my mind. (Not one for
*me* to carry out mind you--I'm still resting from my Master's!) To my mind,
the most interesting study would be one examining *why* people who voted
against the referendum did so. I suspect that "happy with the current
system" would be at least matched by "didn't understand MMP", "didn't like
the process", and "wanted a different type of electoral reform."

Obviously I haven't even fully conceptualized this, but I do think this
would be a fascinating study, since so many pundits and politicians are
claiming that this was a victory for the status quo. If even just a *third*
of the people who voted against it would support electoral reform under
different circumstances, that would mean 60% of the people supporting
change!

Brian, do you know if Steven Brown or anyone else in LISPOP would be
interested in such a thing? I'd do it myself, but unfortunately there's
noone willing to pay me for that!

Anyways, that's *my* great idea that someone else can slave over.

Best,

Ari