[fvc-wat-disc] New email group available now ...

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 15 12:05:00 EDT 2007

>     I believe Paul wanted to discontinue the FVC Waterloo Region
> Discussion group because WPIRG
> is paying for it and he didn't want to maintain any longer.

Maybe you should ask about these things before jumping to
conclusions.

First of all, these lists are not hosted by WPIRG.

Secondly, Bob is correct in stating that we may continue to use them
indefinitely, and that he now has admin access to them.

The issue that I am raising is that many people who are subscribed to
these lists do not wish to receive further mails from us because the
referendum is over. I want to find a way of accomodating further
discussion for those who want to participate while respecting the
wishes and privacy of those who no longer wish to participate.

Here are some facts about the mailing lists:

- Many people who are subscribed (especially to the -disc list) do
not even read their e-mails from this list any more. Thus asking them
to unsubscribe is futile because such messages will never reach their
retinas. The same holds (albeit to a lesser extent) on the -announce
list. Creating a new list on Yahoo or Google Groups is totally not a
solution to this problem, especially if it involves most people
creating Google or Yahoo accounts.

- The -media mailing list did not work out and should probably be
considered useless.

- The membership of the -announce list is almost a superset of that
on the -disc list. Thus if you want to keep all of the names you can
just keep the names of the -announce list.

- Unsubscribing from the lists is difficult for many people. In fact
part of this may be our fault, because I have been having problems
getting the web interface to send me a password reminder so that I
can unsubscribe. (This problem could be investigated if people want.)