[fvc-wat-disc]

Richard Fairman richard.fairman at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:57:13 EDT 2007

Hello All

There has been a lot of talk about MMP providing for more females and minorities running as candidates and being represented in government.  I have no problem with that and encourage it.  What I am concerned about is the gender/nationality criteria being the determining factors as to a candidate's suitability rather than the political skill and wherewithal one might possess to do the job effectively, regardless of one's superficial characteristics.  For it seems to me that good government is about delivering sound policy.  Therefore, whoever is best at it should be the determining criterion for nomination and candidacy.  However that pans out regarding race or gender is irrelevant.  So come one, come all, but vie for the job based on one's abilities.  We have to look past the shell and get to the kernel.  Otherwise, we correct no problem but rather, create one.

Peace
Rick Fairman