[fvc-wat-disc] women and minorities under MMP

Richard Fairman richard.fairman at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 09:05:33 EDT 2007

Angela, thanks for your response.  I completely agree with you that we all too often end up with stupid white guys in government, but unfortunately they don't hold a monopoly on stupidity.  I'm afraid that if, in our excessive zeal we try to swing the pendulum too far the other way, we overshoot our goal and end up no better than before.  Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not aware of any barriers preventing any person from effectively running for office outside of lack of money.  I would be most grateful to be enlightened about such barriers.  Peace.  Rick> From: ayenssen at rogers.com> To: fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> Subject: RE: [fvc-wat-disc] women and minorities under MMP> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 01:21:00 -0400> > Rick, I feel compelled to respond to your comments that only the best person> for the job should be elected to parliament, not undeserving women and> minorities who obtain their positions only for the sake of having women and> minorities in office. I completely agree with you. I would hope that you> would also agree with me that it is a tragedy that we occasionally end up> with stupid white guys elected to office because of the systemic barriers> that keep talented women and minorities from running for office, let alone> getting elected. That is the point of the comments about minority and> female representation under MMP: every group in our society has talented> members, so let's level the playing field so that every group can see its> talented members elected and we have legislatures that reflect our society.> MMP is not an affirmative action program, it's about better representative> democracy. > > -----Original Message-----> From: fvc-wat-disc-bounces at listserv.thinkers.org> [mailto:fvc-wat-disc-bounces at listserv.thinkers.org] On Behalf Of Richard> Fairman> Sent: September 5, 2007 2:57 PM> To: fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> Subject: [fvc-wat-disc] > > > Hello All> > There has been a lot of talk about MMP providing for more females and> minorities running as candidates and being represented in government. I> have no problem with that and encourage it. What I am concerned about is> the gender/nationality criteria being the determining factors as to a> candidate's suitability rather than the political skill and wherewithal one> might possess to do the job effectively, regardless of one's superficial> characteristics. For it seems to me that good government is about> delivering sound policy. Therefore, whoever is best at it should be the> determining criterion for nomination and candidacy. However that pans out> regarding race or gender is irrelevant. So come one, come all, but vie for> the job based on one's abilities. We have to look past the shell and get to> the kernel. Otherwise, we correct no problem but rather, create one.> > Peace> Rick Fairman> > _________________________________________________________________> Discover the new Windows Vista> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE______> _________________________________________> fvc-wat-disc mailing list> fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> http://listserv.thinkers.org/mailman/listinfo/fvc-wat-disc> > > _______________________________________________> fvc-wat-disc mailing list> fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> http://listserv.thinkers.org/mailman/listinfo/fvc-wat-disc