[fvc-wat-disc] Basic Canvassing Script

Richard Fairman richard.fairman at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:59:11 EDT 2007

I think that it's very important to make a definite distinction between "minority" governments as we know them under FPTP with their instability and adversarial posturing and "Coalition" governments under MMP that promote co-operation and stability.Peace
Rick> From: adaigen at sympatico.ca> To: fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> Subject: RE: [fvc-wat-disc] Basic Canvassing Script> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 05:29:05 +0000> > Hey,> > I like this script--it hits at the meat of the issue, which is that this > system will actually elect the governments that people voted for.> > This may seem obvious, but just to be sure, let's all ready to meet some of > the following concerns. Not that we'll sway the hard core opposition, but I > think a lot of people are just afraid and could be convinced by good reason. > (I think a lot of this may also be at voteformmp.com, so apologies to > everyone who would already have known what to say.):> > They say: "I don't want to lose local representation."> You say: "Under MMP you'll still have a local representative. And in a way > you have more local representation, since you can vote for a local candidate > you like even if you don't like his or her party."> > They say: "I'm afraid we'll have permanent minorities and elections every > year."> You say: "Actually, parties cooperate to make stable minority governments in > a lot of countries, like Germany and Ireland. And the parties having to work > together will mean legislation that represents more people's views."> > They say: "Our system has stood the test of time, why change it?"> You say: "Actually, it hasn't stood the test of time so well--almost all > first-world countries have switched to some form of proportional voting. > They see that it's fairer, and it would be fairer here too."> > They say: "I vote Liberal, so the FPTP system works for me."> You say: "Actually, it worked against the Liberals for three straight > elections. PC and NDP got majorities with 45% and 38% of the vote." and/or > "Under the current system a lot of Liberal votes are wasted too--if you're > in a riding that always goes conservative, your vote doesn't matter--but it > will under MMP." (That could be particularly relevant for those canvassing > in Kitchener-Waterloo.)> > They say: "I vote PC, so first-past-the-post works for me."> You say: "Actually, the current system hurt the PC in the last > election--under MMP it would have more seats. And the current system gave > the Liberals a majority with 46% of the vote--and back in 1990, it gave the > NDP a majority with 38% of the vote." And/or "Under the current system a lot > of Conservative votes are wasted too--PC votes in Liberal or NDP ridings > don't matter, but they will under MMP."> > They say: "I don't want unelected Members of Parliament chosen by party > leaders."> You say: "Actually, they would be elected--they would be in Parliament > because their party got a certain amount of votes. (And you would know > beforehand who they would be, since each party would have its list ready > before the election. So if you don't like the people on a party's list, you > can vote against it.)> > > I hope that's not too long or too obvious--I just wanted to give some snappy > answers to questions that will no doubt come up. If we can answer them > kindly, reassuringly, and intelligently, I think we can be very effective.> > Best wishes,> > Ari> > >From: "Joshua Smyth" <smyth.josh at gmail.com>> >Reply-To: FVC Waterloo Region Discussion > ><fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org>> >To: "FVC Waterloo Region Discussion" <fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org>> >Subject: [fvc-wat-disc] Basic Canvassing Script> >Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:24:53 -0400> >> >Here's the text of a basic script for door-to-door work. This is just> >a quick job, so anyone feel free to edit it and bounce it back to the> >list. Cheers> >> >Vote for MMP – Quick Script> >> >> >Hi there, I'm (blank) representing the Vote for MMP Campaign. Have> >you heard about the referendum on October 10th?> >> >You'll have a chance to choose how you elect members to the Provincial> >Legislature between the system we have right now, and a new system> >called Mixed Member Proportional that has been recommended by the> >Ontario Citizen's assembly.> >> >The Citizens Assembly is a group of people that chosen at random (like> >a jury), one person for each riding, that spent eight months getting> >educated and having public consultations about possible changes to the> >electoral system. At the end of this process, they recommended that> >Ontario adopt a new system that offers more choice, fairer results,> >and stronger representation.> >> >Here's how the new system will work. When you go to the polls, you'll> >get two votes. One will be for a local riding representative, just> >like you have now. On the other side of the ballot, you can vote for> >the party of your choice. In an election under the new system, there> >will be 129 seats up for election. 90 of them will be riding seats,> >just like we have now. The other 39 seats will be proportional seats,> >that will be used to bring a party's share of the legislature as close> >as possible to their share of the party vote. If a party gets 35% of> >the vote but only 30 % of the seats from ridings, they will be> >allocated seats from the proportional section to get them as closes as> >possible to 35% of the seats. This will be a big change from the> >system we have now – the Liberals got 46% of the vote, 70% of the> >seats, and 100% of the power in the last election, and the results> >were very similar for the PC and NDP before them. That is neither> >fair nor representative of what the people of Ontario voted for.> >> >As well, under the current system, if you vote for a party that> >doesn't win locally, your vote is essentially wasted – no one goes to> >parliament to represent your views. The new system would change that:> >even if the local candidate you prefer doesn't win, your party vote> >would work to electing MPPs from the party of your choice. No wasted> >votes. It also means that if you like a local candidate, but don't> >like his/her party, you can split your vote and still have your views> >represented.> >> >If you have any questions, feel free to give this brochure a look> >over, or check out the websites listed on it. This is a> >once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the way politics works in Ontario,> >so on election day be sure to vote for the Alternative Electoral> >System proposed by the citizens assembly - if it passes, your voice> >will be heard much more clearly from now on. Thanks for your time.> >_______________________________________________> >fvc-wat-disc mailing list> >fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> >http://listserv.thinkers.org/mailman/listinfo/fvc-wat-disc> > > _______________________________________________> fvc-wat-disc mailing list> fvc-wat-disc at listserv.thinkers.org> http://listserv.thinkers.org/mailman/listinfo/fvc-wat-disc