[fvc-wat-disc] Basic Canvassing Script

Brian Tanguay btanguay at wlu.ca
Tue Sep 18 11:02:25 EDT 2007

Very nicely done, Ari.

I'm trying to remain kind and reassuring, believe me. But with some of the stuff being said and written this week, it's getting much more difficult to maintain that posture! Ah well, nobody said this would be easy.

Cheers,
Brian

>>> adaigen at sympatico.ca 9/18/2007 1:29:05 AM >>>
Hey,

I like this script--it hits at the meat of the issue, which is that this
system will actually elect the governments that people voted for.

This may seem obvious, but just to be sure, let's all ready to meet some of
the following concerns.  Not that we'll sway the hard core opposition, but I
think a lot of people are just afraid and could be convinced by good reason.
(I think a lot of this may also be at voteformmp.com, so apologies to
everyone who would already have known what to say.):

They say: "I don't want to lose local representation."
You say: "Under MMP you'll still have a local representative. And in a way
you have more local representation, since you can vote for a local candidate
you like even if you don't like his or her party."

They say: "I'm afraid we'll have permanent minorities and elections every
year."
You say: "Actually, parties cooperate to make stable minority governments in
a lot of countries, like Germany and Ireland. And the parties having to work
together will mean legislation that represents more people's views."

They say: "Our system has stood the test of time, why change it?"
You say: "Actually, it hasn't stood the test of time so well--almost all
first-world countries have switched to some form of proportional voting.
They see that it's fairer, and it would be fairer here too."

They say: "I vote Liberal, so the FPTP system works for me."
You say: "Actually, it worked against the Liberals for three straight
elections. PC and NDP got majorities with 45% and 38% of the vote." and/or
"Under the current system a lot of Liberal votes are wasted too--if you're
in a riding that always goes conservative, your vote doesn't matter--but it
will under MMP." (That could be particularly relevant for those canvassing
in Kitchener-Waterloo.)

They say: "I vote PC, so first-past-the-post works for me."
You say: "Actually, the current system hurt the PC in the last
election--under MMP it would have more seats. And the current system gave
the Liberals a majority with 46% of the vote--and back in 1990, it gave the
NDP a majority with 38% of the vote." And/or "Under the current system a lot
of Conservative votes are wasted too--PC votes in Liberal or NDP ridings
don't matter, but they will under MMP."

They say: "I don't want unelected Members of Parliament chosen by party
leaders."
You say: "Actually, they would be elected--they would be in Parliament
because their party got a certain amount of votes. (And you would know
beforehand who they would be, since each party would have its list ready
before the election. So if you don't like the people on a party's list, you
can vote against it.)

I hope that's not too long or too obvious--I just wanted to give some snappy
answers to questions that will no doubt come up. If we can answer them
kindly, reassuringly, and intelligently, I think we can be very effective.

Best wishes,

Ari