[fvc-wat-disc] Essays on Voting Systems

Kevin Smith kevedsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:06:30 EDT 2011

I think the court of public opinion is important, and shouldn't be
discounted.

Majority governments have often backed away from controversial proposals
because of public outcry.  We need to have enough demand to achieve our
goal.

We have some work to do with the electorate: 33% favour the status quo,
33% favour alternative vote (a non-PR system), and 33% favour PR.

For the politicians, PR would be in the interests of the opposition
Liberals, NDP
Greens, and Bloc.  If we could convince them to work together to start a
national discussion, that would be a good start.  If the Conservatives won't
implement it, the opposition could form a unity coalition to get into power
and make it happen.

(There was a precedent for this type of thing, to pass conscription during
W. W. I.)

Kevin.