[fvc-wat-disc] Fair Vote Waterloo volunteer meeting

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed May 11 02:30:16 EDT 2011

Hi all:  On Monday a group of interested Fair Voters met at the Coffee
Culture cafe in the Walper Hotel.  There were some long-time volunteers,
some people new to Fair Vote, and some people who had known of Fair Vote
for a long time and were prompted into action by the election. We came
up with some new ideas to promote Fair Vote and the ideas of electoral
reform, and we're going to carry them out with renewed vigour.Many
thanks to those who came out to the meeting, and many thanks to those
who will be helping out with the new projects and events.   Remember,
anyone can help out, it's never too late to join in.

I would really like to thank Anita Nickerson, who has been the driving
force behind Fair Vote Waterloo for the last two years, and who
organized this meeting.  The notes from the meeting were taken by Anita.

--Bob Jonkman
Co-chair, Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region Chapter

[1] Fair Vote Canada memberships and donations:
http://www.fairvote.ca/en/Join

    Fair Vote New Volunteer Meeting

    Sean suggested that we emphasize "fair representation", as
    representation (not
    vote) is what is at the core of what we want to change, and it is
    what matters
    between elections.

    We agreed that presence at as many festivals and events as possible
    is good, in
    addition to presentations, letters to the editor, articles online and in
    university newspapers.

    We talked about the "how" of achieving PR: two part referendum,
    legislation,
    courts and our role in educating the public.

    We agreed that while electoral reform in Ontario is dead for a
    while, we can
    still use the provincial election to raise awareness of the need for PR.

    Action Items (members to report back to group):

    Anita will check into advertising at Princess Twin. If anyone can
    think of a
    movie we could show there for a movie night they are encourged put
    it out to
    the group.

    Mark and Sean have new ideas about how to approach the Record about
    our group,
    and personal contacts, in order to get some coverage.

    Aden and Steven will look into a presentation on PR at Ignite Waterloo.

    Steven is planning to start a debate series, where citizens can
    learn about
    bills making their way through the house, and have their own debates
    and votes.
    This fits nicely with the purposes of the democracy cafe idea, and
    the Fair
    Vote/CAPP events. Anita will assist with organizing/advertising as
    needed.

    Cameron will approach the Multicultural Centre about film students
    making a
    movie about electoral reform.

    Alisa shared about the process of a conversation cafe on democracy
    as another
    option in addition to speaker/town hall events, to provide an
    opportunity for
    people to engage with each other, share ideas and resources, listen and
    connect. She will check whether there is interest in having this at
    Unitarian
    House.

    At Alisa's suggestion, Anita will contact Third Age Learning again.

    Aden will check if there is interest in having a Fair Vote
    presentation for the
    youth group at Unitarian House.

    We talked about the National Day of Action for Electoral Reform. We
    found out
    about it a little late to do anything here. It is for all kinds of
    reform
    (including those who want AV, another winner take all system, but
    Fair Vote
    speakers will be participating.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Day-of-Action-for-Electoral-Reform/220365314641817

    It was suggested that we have a yearly National Day of Action for
    Fair Voting.
    Anita will bring this good idea up to Fair Vote national council.

    Anita