[fvc-wat-disc] Loss of Per Vote subsidy

Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Sat Oct 8 15:46:42 EDT 2011

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/10/04/ending-per-vote-party-subsidy-canada_n_995143.html

This really bothers me. I feel Harper is undermining democracy by crippling parties who cannot raise funds from rich donors. The poorest people who most need government help cannot send in money and don't benefit from tax credits. The working class can't wait a year to get that money back on a tax return. Clean air, trees and water cannot send in money. The loss of the per vote subsidy will also force parties to target their messaging to those who can donate. I feel Harper is capitalizing on the cynicism the public has towards political parties.

Even though it's not PR related, Fair Vote Canada did take a position on this:
http://www.fairvote.ca/en/press-release/2011-01-14/democracy-not-just-for-rich-says-fair-vote-canada

I would be very interested in having a speaker/panel/debate on this issue. It could be one among several issues, under a larger topic (public engagement, democratic reform, the future of political parties etc).

Does anyone have a suggestion of who might be good to speak on this?

Anita