[fvc-wat-disc] [fvc-wat-announce] Cooperate for Canada Event Thursday February 16 7 PM

Anita lanickerson at b2b2c.ca
Tue Feb 14 11:19:14 EST 2012

You are right, Les. And for almost every Fair Vote Waterloo event, I do sincerely and personally invite the Conservatives. I also made a signficant effort during Democracy Week. Not that in three years one has ever shown up, regardless of the topic - even on occasions when other parties have had tables and one of the speakers was taking their point of view. The exception was one event just ahead of the federal election when a couple of volunteers showed up with lawn signs. I would be happy to engage them with Fair Vote Canada Waterloo by holding a debate/panel on a topic of their choice.

The reality of the last decade in Fair Vote is that although FVC is firmly commited to multi-partisanship, very careful with their messaging, keeping the door wide open, basing their campaign on research showing what is best for all voters long term, and constantly inviting more Conservatives to join us based on principle (if you know anybody that woud like to run for FVC council please ask them to submit their statement ASAP), that has been largely unsuccessful. It is just that point in history. I would hazard a well educated guess that there are no more than a handful of Conservative Fair Vote supporters in Canada, and 90% of FVC supporters who have strong feelings against the Conservatives at this point. FVC has taken the position that is it is better, looking at acheiving PR as a long term fight, to embrace multipartisanship, knowing that the tides of who is in power may come and go over decades but it adds credibility to the message when there are folks from all points on the spectrum, no matter what the ratio, endorsing FVC. The downside of this is that they cannot mobilize those who want PR more than anything right now in the same way that a group like Leadnow.ca/cooperate or Avaaz can. Unless the members decide to change that, that is the way it is.

"Cooperate for Canada" is not a Fair Vote Canada endorsed event. The national office would be highly opposed to making this a Fair Vote Canada event, because the aims of one time cross party cooperation are: 1) Pre-election cooperation to in select ridings with the goal of defeating the Conservative candidate and electing a government based on shared values of the majority and probably a few key commitments 2) Bringing in a government that has an immediate commitment to enacting PR or a fair process to get there before the next election, so we never have to do this again.

We considered making this a Fair Vote Waterloo event by inviting the Conservative to come, perhaps to explain how they are going to give us all voters a vote that counts so the three parties do not need to cooperate. We decided against it mainly because no reasonable person would expect the Conservative to show up. If ten or twenty years ago someone held a meeting about how the right could coordinate to defeat the Liberals, no-one would expect a Liberal to show up. And while the chapters do have autonomy (I can say we have used that here to the max as one of the most active chapters in Canada), it is just not worth causing strife with the national office for this particular event. I am on the national council and they were the first I informed I was doing this before they heard it anywhere else.

We are just starting up and hoping to get a Citizens for Cross Party Cooperation group going in KW. There is one in Toronto and Salt Spring Island, as well as the Leadnow campaign. As we build up our contact list, hopefully we will have another list to advertise on. But for now we will continue to let Fair Vote supporters know about upcoming events that have a strong tie to PR or democracy, no matter where they come from,  just as we sometimes do with other groups.

Cheers.

Anita