[fvc-wat-disc] [fvc-wat-announce] Meeting on PR presentation, all welcome

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Dec 1 15:12:55 EST 2015

Hi everyone: We had a successful meeting of the Presentation Working
Group yesterday. Sean Haberlin took the following notes -- thanx Sean!

== Purpose of the meeting to design a new presentation ==

* Context, within the next 18 months, Parliamentary committee on
Democratic reform will examine two different electoral system
Proportional Representation (PR) and Alternative Vote (AV)

* Goal of presentation is to promote PR
 - Tenor of presentation - sell PR or educate about PR , no consensus
on tenor

* Assume 15 minutes for presentation

* Two topics
 - PR (13 mins) broken down into
   i. STV
   ii. MMP
 - AV - 2 minutes

* Each slide should consist of no more than 5 bullets, no more than 5
words per bullet

* Graphs, tables and other forms of graphics used where appropriate to
illustrate and simplify data presentation.

* Thematic integrity, each slide uses same font, background and
etc.... Links to content outside of presentation should mirror and
expand on content of presentation. For example, MMP and STV, should
not lead to links about Jenkins or Dion's P3. Rather, they should
expand on MMP and STV

* Slide content ideas
 - Slide showing 85 OECD use PR, 5 use First Past the Post (FPTP), 2
use AV
 - Challenging Statements must not undermine the credibility of
presentation (eg. More women and minorities in PR as one point of many
points - challenging, on its own slide with empirical examples -
credible). Pay attention how content may challenge assumptions of
audience and be ready backup your challenge.
 - 2nd last slide - AV
 - Last slide - link to a link page for further research

* Structure of slide presentation based on values or mechanism of voting?

* Must recognize a winner take all bias on part of Canadian audience
vs proportional, are elections about win/lose or about representation?

== Action Items ==

* Gord - create world map slide illustrating 85 countries in OECD has
PR and 2 have AV

* Byron - create slide presentation on value structure, others to send
content ideas to Byron

* Bob - get permission to use Fair Canada material, especially Pillon
videos

* Sean - create notes of meeting

* Sharon - co-ordinate efforts

== Next Meeting ==
Thursday, Dec. 10th at 10:30 at Sharon's house.