[fvc-wat-disc] Lecture on Civic Participation and Voting, Monday, 27 July 2015.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jul 20 03:55:24 EDT 2015

Hi everyone: I just stumbled across a lecture on Civic Participation
and e-Voting, taking place at Conestoga College next Monday, 27 July
2015. I'm planning on going; a link to the registration page is at the
bottom of the message.

http://blogs1.conestogac.on.ca/events/2015/07/all_those_in_favour_click_aye_.php

=====
User Experience Guest Lecture Series: All Those in Favour, Click 'Aye'
- - The Struggle for Civic Tech
July 27, 2015
If a billion people around the world can over-share their lives on
social media, why are voting rates still so low? Can e-participation
systems coax more residents into taking part in civic life?

In this session, we will apply technology to the role of the voter,
resident, and taxpayer. Civic technologies, including e-participation
are increasing in popularity, with dedicated labs and businesses
springing up to help citizens manage their "red boxes."

How do user experiences and expectations compare to those of
commercial services? How does civic tech affect the roles of the
citizen, the political, and the civil servant?

Speaker:

Kirk Zurell, Research Entrepreneurs Accelerating Prosperity (REAP)
Professional University of Waterloo

Kirk Zurell writes op-ed articles for newspapers on topics in civic
life. Kirk takes part in civic life through the Compass Kitchener
citizen engagement committee and Waterloo Voter Support Committee. He
provides information technology support at The Working Centre and
investigates digital media at University of Waterloo's Research
Entrepreneurs Accelerating Prosperity (REAP).

Time:
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Location:
Conestoga College, Doon Campus, Main Building, Room 2A301

To Register:
This guest lecture is free to attend but does require registration.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/user-experience-guest-lecture-series-all-those-in-favour-click-aye-the-struggle-for-civic-tech-tickets-17649691703

For more information, contact Dalibor Dvorski. ddvorski at conestogac.on.ca

=====

- --