[fvc-wat-disc] [fvc-wat-announce] PR Brainstorming and Action Planning Meeting Tomorrow Night

Paul Schellenberg pjschell at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 10 09:05:13 EST 2015

Hi Sharon,
	I have come to conclude that changing from our SMP elections to a proportional representation electoral system is not without risk. Changing electoral systems can make the governance of Canada better or worse. It depends very much on how it is changed. It is certainly false to claim that any proportional representation electoral system is better than SMP.

In a 2-party democracy like the USA, SMP is a proportional electoral system. I find Canada’s system of governance better in spite of the fact we do not have proportional representation.

In Israel and Italy, their governments are less stable than Canada’s government in spite of the fact they have proportional representation.

For 148 years Canada has relied on SMP. If we continue to prosper in the same way for 148 more years, would it be so bad?

I think FVC is mistaken to proceed on the belief that any proportional representation electoral system will lead to better governance than the SMP electoral system we currently employ. We have to be careful about what we wish for.

Paul Schellenberg