[fvc-wat-disc] The Government Wants To Know!

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:43:15 EDT 2016

I believe that is because Maryam Monsef is going to do Waterloo Region
herself.  Or so we keep being promised/threatened/dangled with.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Laurel L. Russwurm <laurel.l at russwurm.org>
wrote:

> It certainly looks as though the ERRE Committee will NOT be stopping in
> Waterloo Region:
>
> It was agreed, — That, in relation to the study of viable alternate voting
> systems, mandatory voting and online voting, the following travel budgets
> be adopted:
>
> • Regina (SK), St-Pierre Jolys (MB), Winnipeg (MB), Toronto (ON), Québec
> (QC), and Joliette (QC): $ 137,111.80
>
> • Whitehorse (YT), Victoria (BC), Vancouver (BC), LeDuc (AB),
> Yellowknife(NT): $ 162,667.05
>
> • Montréal (QC), St. John’s (NL), Halifax (NS), Charlottetown (PE),
> Fredericton (NB) $ 130,711.80
>
> • Iqaluit ((NU) $ 109 517.50.
>
> It was agreed, — That, should the Board of Internal Economy adopt these
> budgets, the Analysts and the Clerks, in consultation with the Chair,
> prepare a news release for publication on the Committee’s website,
> announcing the cities that will be visited.
>
> It was agreed, — That, the Committee hire two (2) research assistants for
> the period of June 21 to December 1, 2016, for a total amount not to exceed
> $ 58,300.00.
>
> It was agreed, — That, a proposed budget in the amount of $ 80,250.00 for
> the study of electoral reform be adopted.
>

> <http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8396591>
> http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=e&Mode=1&Parl=42&Ses=1&DocId=8396591
>
> If they were stopping once in each province & territory it would be
> different, but the 17 stops include
>
> 3 in Quebec
> 2 in Manitoba
>
> but only ONE in Ontario.
>
> What now?
>
> Regards,
> Laurel
>

> On 08/01/2016 10:34 PM, Sharon Sommerville wrote:
>
> Hello FairVoting Friends,
>
> The Electoral Reform Committee wants to hear from Canadians, we have an
> amazing opportunity to let our government know that we want PR and why.
>
> COMMUNITY DIALOGUES
>
> The Electoral Reform Committee is asking Canadians to participate in
> community dialogues and submit reports to them on what is important in an
> electoral system and why.
>
> Starting on Tuesday, August 9th and every Tuesday at 6:30 from till
> October we will be at the Queen Street Commons (43 Queen Street South) in
> Kitchener to facilitate conversations about electoral reform.  We will talk
> together, record the conversation and submit it to the government.  Join us
> for a coffee and a chat.
>
> PR IN THE BACKYARD
>
> On Friday, August 12th at 7 pm join Catherine Fife, MPP for Waterloo to
> learn more about PR. There will be a presentation, comments from Catherine,
> discussion groups and a Q & A. Learn, discuss and debate in a pleasant,
> informal backyard setting.
>
> Hope to see you soon!,
>
> Best regards,
> Sharon
> [...]

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.