[fvc-wat-disc] my letter responding to Gordon Domm

John Cooper johnco at golden.net
Sat Dec 3 19:59:42 EST 2016

Dave Arthur

Your letter explains the problem very well from a national perspective.

I agree that we need PR.

One of the challenges with a nation as large geographically as Canada is that people want representatives from their immediate area or region.

Consequently the idea of constituencies based on geography creates this situation of large majority of votes in some cases and less than majority (i.e. less than 50%) in other cases electing representatives.

And the perception of ‘wasted’ of votes.

I have never considered my vote to be ‘wasted’ because I always vote according to my principles and political philosophy, not for who might win or to get rid of a bad character (‘strategic voting’).

Maybe we need to require that every elected rep (event at municipal level) must achieve 50+% on the first ballot or there is a ‘run-off’ to obtain that majority as is done in some European elections.

It would be interesting to see the result.

Also, we must engage and encourage everyone to vote so that governments are not elected by less than half of the eligible or actual voters.