[fvc-wat-disc] Send Liberal MPs this lovely Christmas Card!

Dave Arthur arthurd23 at bell.net
Wed Dec 7 14:12:44 EST 2016

I am starting to write my Christmas cards to Trudeau, Monsef, other cabinet and select MPs.
I think we agreed to include some “persuasive” information.
Can we clarify a few items?
What was the exact wording of Trudeau’s promise about FPTP and making votes count?
The Liberals’, NDP’s and Greens’ campaign included electoral reform. Correct?
That means 62.7% of the votes supported parties that campaigned on electoral reform?
I believe the BQ did not include electoral reform in their platform. Is that correct?
Last night what was the % drop in approval of the PEI Liberal government after dismissing their referendum result?
Another concern to consider.
In talking to friends about reform and PR, one of the arguments naysayers use is the proliferation of single issue or fringe parties.
We know that is not a valid concern in the vast number of countries using PR.
For example, in 2015 there were 19 such parties in our election, 7 of which got virtually no votes and the other 9 together got a total of less than 1% of the votes.
We often add that many countries use a minimum threshold that must be met to elect any members.
The threshold of 5% that is often mentioned is much to high.
That would have eliminated any members from either the Green Party (3.4%) or Bloc Quebecois (4.7%) from being elected.
A threshold of 1% represents 176 thousand votes which extrapolates to 256 thousand eligible voters or 358 thousand population.
That’s the size of the city of Halifax or Victoria, the capital cities of NS and BC, a number of people whose views deserve representation.
It seems to me that a threshold of 1% would be sufficiently effective.
It also represents 3 out of 338 MPs, hardly a “radical” or “extremist” threat, to use the Liberals’ disgusting but telling and manipulating choice of words in their questionnaire.
Dave A