[fvc-wat-disc] Xmas cards

Dave Arthur arthurd23 at bell.net
Sat Dec 10 12:15:06 EST 2016

The Star had 24 letters about the electoral reform issue today, the majority of them pro-PR.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editors/2016/12/10/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-must-keep-pledge-on-electoral-reform.html
They haven’t included mine and I haven’t received acknowledgement of it by them although I sent it several days ago.
Maybe picking on one of their columnists is a no-no.
Here is my response to Hepburn’s column.
Dave A

Hepburn’s Arguments Ill-Conceived

Bob Hepburn says changing our voting system is a bad idea.  But 88% of the witnesses and briefs submitted by Canadians who have studied the issue say we need proportional representation, the system used by 90% of other developed democracies in the world.  What do those countries know that Hepburn doesn’t?  PR countries typically have more stable, longer lasting governments, better representation for all citizens, more cooperation and consensus, less partisan bitterness, longer range planning, less policy lurch, better voter turnouts, and sincere rather than strategic voting.  Systems using multi-member or larger ridings with additional MPs give constituents more, not less contact with representatives.  Candidate lists adding proportional MPs can be open and ranked by voters adding more democracy, not less.  Canada is almost alone with its unfair version of democracy. Friends in countries with PR can’t believe we have stayed with a system where votes are not equal and too many do not count toward representation.