[fvc-wat-disc] Response to The Record

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Jul 23 14:32:28 EDT 2016

Sean Haberlin had a Letter to the Editor published on 5 July 2016, but
it doesn't appear to be online. If anyone finds a link, please let me
know so I can update http://fairvotewrc.ca/media

In trying to find Sean's letter online, I came across

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/6759838-rules-of-the-game/

In spite of writing that "Unlike first-past-the-post, ranked ballots,
or proportional representation", Arvo Ranni describes a ranked ballot,
with a restriction on the number of rankings. And he omits other
crucial information: Is this to be used in a single- or multi-member
riding? Either way, it's a plurality system, with all the problems of
FPTP and AV.

Most voting systems described by armchair psephologists are simple,
easy to understand, and wrong.

Fair Vote Waterloo has a Letter Writing Group -- We scour print media
for articles and letters with misinformation, and collaborate on
writing a response. If anyone is interested in joining, let me know.
It would be great to have enough people so that we can scour online
media like https://ipolitics.ca/ and http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ too.

Also, Today I Learned "Psephology" --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psephology

- --Bob.

On 2016-07-23 11:36 AM, haberlin at gmail.com wrote:
> What is the cycle?  Is it one letter a month?
>
> A wrote a letter about two weeks ago, never saw it published online
> but was totally baffled when I say a rebuttal to my letter appear.
> Obviously, The Record is truly understaffed.
>
> Sean B. Haberlin 91 Park St. Waterloo, ON  N2L 1Y2 (ph)
> 519.576.9195  (cell) 519.572.1202
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Bob Jonkman
> [mailto:bjonkman at sobac.com] Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:13 AM
> To: FairvoteWRC Letter Writing Group <letters at fairvotewrc.ca>
> Subject: Fwd: Response to The Record
>
> Forwarding  to the Letter Writing Group letters at fairvotewrc.ca
>

> -------- Forwarded Message -------- Subject: Response to The
> Record Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:51:12 -0400 From: Sharon
> Sommerville <sharonsommerville at gmail.com>
>
> Good Morning FVC Letter Writers,
>
> On Wed. a letter to the editor calling for a referendum on
> electoral reform was published in the Record.
>
> http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/6774351-electoral-reform-merits-referendum/
>
>  Does anyone feel up to responding?
>
> Yesterday, an article supported FPTP, was published. Did anyone see
> it? Unfortunately, I can't find it on the website to provide the
> link.  If anyone can, could you post it?
>
> A response to this article would be super as well.  I would respond
> but they see my name all the time!
>
> Have a wonderful weekend! Sharon

- --

- --