[fvc-wat-disc] Sept 8: KPL presentation

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Jul 29 12:39:39 EDT 2016

Dave Arthur wrote:
> The only pro for FPTP that I am aware of is that it is simple.

But it's not. Try to explain how 39% of the vote results in 54% of the
seats in parliament. Why 57% of the votes cast in Kitchener
South-Hespeler did not contribute to sending anyone to parliament.
That Elizabeth May does not represent 600,000 voters across Canada,
but only 104,000 people in Saanich-Gulf Islands (and maybe only the
37,000 people who voted for her).

While it is simple to fill in an FPTP ballot, the election results are
baffling. And it is just as simple to fill in an MMP ballot (Two X
marks! Twice as hard!) or an STV ballot (counting from 1 to 5 is
pretty simple), and the election results from any proportional system
are much easier to understand.

- --Bob.