[fvc-wat-disc] Strategy Meeting on Thursday, 19 May 2016

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon May 23 14:37:30 EDT 2016

For anyone who wasn't able to attend our Strategy Meeting on Thursday,
here are the minutes. They're also online at

http://www.fairvotewrc.ca/meetings/2016-strategy-and-executive-meeting/

=====
  Fair Vote Canada Waterloo Region Chapter

    Strategy and Executive Meeting, 19 May 2016, 7:00pm

Location: Sharon Sommerville’s dining room, 85 Westmount Road South,
Waterloo, Ontario

Attending:

  * Sharon Sommerville (Co-chair)
  * Bob Jonkman (Co-chair)
  * Aden Seaman (Treasurer)
  * Donald Fraser
  * Paul Nijjar
  * David Dirks
  * Stuart Chandler
  * Sean Haberlin
  * Byron Weber Becker
  * David Arthur
  * Barbara Campbell
  * Cathy Campbell

Regrets:

  * Kevin Smith (Secretary)
  * Jennifer Ross (Member at Large)
  * Shannon Adshade (Member at Large)

 1. Introductions were made
 2. Update – Meeting with Minister Monsef on Wednesday, 25 May 2016
      * Jennifer Ross and Sharon Sommerville of /Fair Vote Waterloo/,
        and Kelly Carmichael of /Fair Vote Canada/ will meet with the
        Hon. Maryam Monsef, Minister of Democratic Institutions on
        Wednesday, 25 May 2016
      * Meeting for 30 minutes as a delegation of /Fair Vote Canada/.
      * Kelly Carmichael is the Executive Director of /Fair Vote Canada/.
      * Jennifer Ross is the Treasurer of the /Fair Vote Canada/
        National Council.
      * This is to be a frank discussion on the process of Electoral
        Reform.
      * /Fair Vote Canada/ must not force the Liberals in the direction
        of Fair Vote views; instead, this delegation will bring a
        moderate voice to the table.
      * Proposal: The local group (/Fair Vote Waterloo/) feels the
        All-party Parliamentary Committee (APC) makeup is not democratic
        enough.
      * The APC is to make recommendations to parliament.
      * The Liberals will strike the All-party Parliamentary Committee
        (it has not yet been formed).
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ believes that a decision to create a fair
        voting system should be made by a fair committee.
      * Committee creation procedures are detailed in Standing Orders in
        Council.
      * The APC is to complete reports from local electoral districts by
        1 October 2016, and is to report to parliament on 1 December 2016.
      * The APC will consist of six Liberals, three Conservatives, and 1
        NDP member. There will be one Bloc Quebecois member and one
        Green Party member (Elizabeth May) who are not allowed to vote
        or make motions.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ believes the APC should create a Citizens’
        Assembly to make determinations, then take those findings to
        Parliament. We realize that will not happen here.
      * What is the purpose of the Town Hall meetings?
      * /Fair Vote Canada/ and /Lead Now/ have a good working
relationship.

          o /Lead Now/ started in 2011 to lead online discourse in, e.g.
            the environment and democracy. There are about 500,000
            people involved.
          o /Lead Now/ had an active team for strategic voting,
            providing education and doing canvassing. This was good
            training for Electoral Reform.
          o /Fair Vote Waterloo/ will not be canvassing, but people can
            be a member of both organizations.
          o The NDP is also involved in canvassing.
          o /Fair Vote Waterloo/ will be sharing information tables with
            /Lead Now/ at the summer festivals.
          o Canvass districts are being divided by organization.
          o The NDP has resources for canvassing: poll maps, membership
            lists; Sean Haberlin wants to share resources.
          o Postcards for support were sent to the NDP House Leader.
          o Postcards sent to Minister Monsef will be forwarded to the
            MP of the sender (so better to send it to your MP in the
            first place).
          o /Lead Now/ also has postcards and canvass material.
          o Q: Are /Fair Vote Waterloo/ and /Lead Now/ cross-promoting?
            e.g. Canvassing events, summaries of events.
            A: We don’t want to use the mailing list for non-Fair Vote
            material, but OK to put these items on the Web site, social
            media. Discussion on mailing list policy to be deferred for
            another meeting.
 3. Objectives
      * How many opportunities do we have to make our pitch?
      * We hope that Minister Monsef will come to Waterloo Region.
      * We should be prepared to make deputations to the APC and at the
        Town Hall meetings.
      * Raj Saini (Kitchener Centre) and the Hon. Bardish Chagger
        (Waterloo) have stated their commitment to /Fair Vote Waterloo/
        bring Minister Monsef to Waterloo Region.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ should give a presentation to Minister
        Monsef and the APC.
      * Deputations to the APC and at the Town Hall meetings are
        separate events.
      * There could be as many as seven opportunities: Five at each
        Electoral District Town Hall meeting; to Minister Monsef; and to
        the APC.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ will offer to help with the Town Hall
        meetings: Approaching MPs; Working with MPs.
      * Town Hall meetings were promised by the Prime Minister.
      * “How can I help with the Town Hall?” is a good approach.
      * Public Education:
          o Media: Needs education.
          o Mainstream media is still dismissive of Electoral Reform and
            Proportional Representation.
          o The media piece is huge…
          o Letter Writing Committee will continue to monitor Letters to
            the Editors and write responses, will focus on local media.
          o /The Record/ is not interested in exploring the issue — John
            Roe (Editor at /The Record/) was looking for an OpEd article
            to explain the issue. The OpEd article was submitted by
            Sharon Sommerville, but it was not published.
          o /Fair Vote Waterloo/ should make phone calls to local media:
            CTV, CBC, radio, print media.
          o Donald Fraser and Bob Jonkman will form the Media Outreach
            Team.
          o The Media Outreach Team will pitch the idea by e-mail: “How
            can we help you put this (Electoral Reform) out to the
            community?”
      * Broadening the support base:
          o Interest is shown during canvassing, but canvassers don’t
            have follow-up resources.
          o /Fair Vote Waterloo/ needs an Outreach Worker

              + “Here is something you can do… ”
              + Outreach Worker will staff summer festival booths and
                attend meetings.
              + Aden Seaman will be the /Fair Vote Waterloo/ Outreach
                Worker.
              + Bob Jonkman and Sharon Sommerville are willing to share
                their phone numbers and e-mail addresses as outreach
                contacts.
              + Logistics: Have a handout with info for /Fair Vote
                Canada/, /Lead Now/, the /Broadbent Institute/.
              + Aden Seaman will create business cards for information
                handout.
          o Outreach to other groups?
              + /Lead Now/, NDP are already on board.
              + Green Party? Other groups?
              + Someone to coordinate outreach to Co-ops?
              + Byron Weber Becker will gather a list of Co-ops from the
                Province’s web site.
 4. Town Hall meetings
      * Not much direction has been given.
      * Town Hall meetings will either be information sessions or
        feedback sessions.
      * Which Members of Parliament will hold Town Hall meetings?
      * Local constituents should contact their MPs to request Town Hall
        meetings.
          o Bob Jonkman will contact Harold Albrecht
(Kitchener–Conestoga).
          o Sean Haberlin will contact the Hon. Bardish Chagger
(Waterloo).
          o Byron Weber Becker will contact Raj Saini (Kitchener Centre).
          o Pitch as “I can help you.”
          o Need Cambridge contacts: Shannon Adshade? Donna Reid?
          o Need Kitchener South–Hespeler contacts: David Weber?
      * How to prevent Town Hall meetings from being dominated by people
        advocating their favourite voting system?
      * We need broad education and public outreach.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ can make public presentations in local
        electoral districts a few days before the Town Hall meetings.
      * … but /Fair Vote Waterloo/ may be dismissed for having a bias.
      * The media may also dismiss /Fair Vote Waterloo/ for having a bias.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ should have available a one page document
        on the advantages and values of Proportional Representation, but
        not the mechanics of voting systems.
      * This one pager should include sample ballots.
      * We can offer to media outlets a summary; Bob Jonkman will post
        on the /Fair Vote Waterloo/ web site the OpEd article written by
        Sharon Sommerville.
      * David Dirks will investigate making that summary into a video.
 5. Meeting with the Hon. Maryam Monsef, Minister of Democratic
    Institutions
      * Minister Monsef may be coming to Kitchener-Waterloo.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ should make a presentation to her.
      * We would like Minister Monsef to make a presentation to the
public.
      * What is the relationship between the All-party Parliamentary
        Committee and Minister Monsef?
          o The Minister is separate from APC.
          o The Minister will review report published by APC in December.
          o The Minister will then propose legislation to parliament.
          o The Minister is not bound by the APC report.
      * What is the way to approach Minister Monsef to influence the
        outcome?
          o Build on what the Liberals have been doing.
          o Affirm the eight principles guiding Electoral Reform
            introduced by Minister Monsef.
          o Present Electoral Reform as a value-based decision.
          o Your views are consistent with these values and will lead to
            this outcome.
      * Elizabeth May has stated that she will participate in the
        All-party Parliamentary Committee.
      * We invite Minister Monsef to speak for 30 minutes, followed by
        questions from the public for 30 minutes.
 6. Deputations to All-party Parliamentary Committee
      * The All-party Parliamentary Committee may come to
        Kitchener-Waterloo.
      * Raj Saini and the Hon. Bardish Chagger are working on bringing
        the APC to KW.
      * Pointers: How to make a deputation?
          o Make them like you.
          o Make it short and to the point.
          o Know your material.
      * Sometimes the Committee doesn’t travel. Deputations have to go
        to Ottawa, or use video links.
      * Draw on people with influence, eg. Frank Valeriote.
      * Michael Chong (MP for Wellington–Halton Hills) is likely to put
        on a Town Hall meeting.
 7. Summer/Fall Outreach
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ should hold a workshop on how to do
        deputations.
      * Festivals, events. We will have info cards for handouts.
      * Bob Jonkman to put events list on Discussion Night announcement.
      * Separate message for a list of events and a request for
        volunteers to the Announcement mailing list.
      * Donald Fraser is making a graphic of election results to be used
        as a handout.
      * Have a ^1 /_4 page listing Town Hall meetings and presentations.
      * Let us know about opportunities for outreach.
      * /Fair Vote Waterloo/ can have an information table at Victoria
        Park and City Hall at no cost.
      * Maybe have an info table at Speaker’s Corner?
      * Get Minister Monsef during Democracy Week (11-17 September 2016)?
      * We will set up an e-mail distribution list for the Action Team.
      * Spending money?
          o Use Facebook “Boost Post” or Google’s “AdWords” for outreach?
          o Paul Nijjar will investigate.
      * Social Media
          o Aden Seaman reports that the http://fairvotewrc.ca/ website
            gets 10,000 hits per month.
          o Web site items are automatically sent to Twitter, which are
            automatically sent to Facebook. Bob Jonkman reports that the
            Facebook items get comments, but isn’t on Facebook often
            enough to respond.
          o Sean Haberlin reports that Reddit gets discussions; the
            activity he sees already reflects his views.
          o Should /Fair Vote Waterloo/ start a thread on Electoral
            Reform on Reddit?

Minutes taken by Bob Jonkman.

=====

*Facebook*: https://www.facebook.com/events/870974459713118/