[fvc-wat-disc] I want PR

Laurel L. Russwurm laurel.l at russwurm.org
Thu Sep 1 17:55:58 EDT 2016

Dear Anita:

Yes, I understand all the arguments for the system, Anita, my concern is
rural voters who are already disenfranchised with a monopoly MP will
continue to be stuck with a monopoly MP.  Oh, sure, that MP over in that
city is supposed to make it proportional, but that is not how it will
look or feel to rural folk.  With luck I'll be living in an urban riding
that will benefit wildly from getting STV with MMP top ups.   This isn't
about me, Anita.  I'm simply providing a rural perspective the system
designers don't seem to have taken into account.  Frankly, I think DMP
would be better because it at least frees voters from monopolies.  And
yes, I am well aware FVC has defaulted to MMP, and have long understood
the chance of getting the system I actually want is slim to none.  I'm
not sure where your idea of 10 member STV rural ridings comes from; the
numbers I have heard being bandied about for STV from FVC folk in urban
areas has been more like 5 - 7 MPs (which I think should be 7 - 9). My
goal is PR, I have ZERO expectation of getting my favored flavor.

You've misunderstood my complaint: I don't have any problem at all with
FVC including this or any system in its submission to the committee.
Submitting 3 potential systems is great.  In fact I have been wondering
when a Fair Vote witness will present.

What I am talking about is what looks to be a disproportionate amount of
FVC promotion of this specific system in social media. BTW, even when
FVC used MMP as the default, it was still always pushing proportional
representation.  It wasn't me who decided to keep FVC system neutral,
that happened long before I knew anything about PR.  And But that worked
really well because FVC wasn't selling something, it was promoting a
principle.  I understand its fun to talk about a new system, you all are
understandably tired of saying the same things over and over about the
same old ones. But most Canadians are still new to this, and it is VERY
daunting.  Which is why now more than ever before FVC needs to be system
neutral.

Regards,
Laurel

Laurel L. Russwurm, Author <http://laurel.russwurm.org/blogs/> §