[fvc-wat-disc] BUILDING OUR COMMUNITY SUPPORT

Jennifer Ross 2jennross at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 16:52:25 EDT 2017

Fabulous!  We have been doing that, but I suspect more of an ad hoc kind of
way.  Organizing it so that contact names and emails/phone, along with the
organization/issue would be most valuable.

For example, we do know of at least one income inequality group, Basic
Income Waterloo Region, http://biwr.ca/ and the contact is John Green, and
he's very likely on this list.  I say that because he retweeted us very
recently :) @ProperJohnGreen.  Hi John!

But that is one group of what I imagine are many taking issue with poverty
reduction, sustainable living, anti-corruption and all the things that make
rising income inequality a thing.  Some groups (Council of Canadians,
Wilmot Health Coalition) have many issues they concern themselves with,
income inequality among them.  Waterloo Region at one point had a book of
all the civil society groups; I don't know if the list is now online or too
hard to maintain or what happened to it.  This is what I found that might
be a start http://www.kwnow.ca/cdps/minorcat.cfm?cid=17&ckid=384

If you can find a way to tap into this monstrous resource in an organized
manner, that would be really something!

Then we need a way to 'get to' the various ethnic communities of our Region
in such a way that it doesn't just appear that we come in and lecture them
and then ignore them for another 10 years or something.  Ambassadors of the
groups, that's what we need.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM, David dirks <daviddirks at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hello Fair Voters.
>
> My apologies as this note is a little long, so please bear with us.
>
> What follows is a proposed outreach plan Cathy Scott and I have developed
> from our February strategy meeting *with a request.*
>
> Cathy and I are proposing to approach over time key organizations, groups
> and individuals in our community which share like interests to ourselves.
> We know that in countries with PR, there is less income inequality, women
> are better represented in government, action on the climate change is
> greater and so on.
>
> Our goals are to
>
> * create awareness of FVC-Wat
> *offer an opportunity to further educate about the issue
> * invite endorsement of our work with an invitation to engage or join with
> us in the future
>
> Given our resources we will focus on one area at a time.  The first time
> out is a test to see whether this strategy has merit and to tweak it as
> needed.  Our target is coalitions or groups, significant agencies,
> perhaps church social action committees and key leaders in our community.
> Clearly, we want to contact those with an interest in the area we
> identify, ideally some community profile and with the potential for
> outreach themselves. We want to be strategic and also keep the number of
> contacts manageable given our resources and so maximize the impact of our
> efforts.
>
> We would send the targeted groups a letter or email.  In our brief
> communication we would:
>
> * describe who we are & our goals
> * talk succinctly about the benefits to good policy of a PR system
> * speak briefly and specifically to the area of interest of the group or
> individual
> * articulate our asks (endorsement; opportunity to learn more about PR;
> invitation to join with us in our issue)
> * provide contact name (s) for follow-up.
>
> OK.  So we *NEED YOU!  Our ASK; *Our first and test area is that of *income
> inequality*.  Do you know any groups, agencies or individuals which fit
> the above criteria?  Clear interest in the issue, community profile,
> community connections, key leader. If you think of one (even two), please
> let us know.  We will need the name of the individual/group/agency;
> mailing address (if possible); contact name to whom we direct the
> correspondence (very important).
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Yours in electoral reform....
>
> Cathy & David

No other Western democratic country concentrates as much political power in
the hands of one person as Canada does with her Prime Minister.