[fvc-wat-disc] Number of wasted votes 2015?

Jon Bathmaker jon.bathmaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:36:52 EST 2017

Finding the number of effective votes is simple but a lot of work.

Elections Canada has the data here:
http://elections.ca/res/rep/off/ovr2015app/41/table12E.html

Find the # of votes cast for the second place finisher in each riding +1
and  sum them all up.   That's the number of votes that actually elected
the MPs i.e. Effective Votes.

Total Votes = Effective Votes + Wasted Votes

In Waterloo Region for example there were 59,849 votes cast, the second
place guy got 19,318 so it took 19,319 votes to elect the winner.   The
other 40,530 votes had no effect on the outcome and were thus not
effective  votes.   Do this another 329 times and you have the data for
the effective votes.   The eligible voters and votes cast should be on
the web somewhere.

Best,
Jon Bathmaker