[fvc-wat-disc] Total ballots ...

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Feb 27 20:57:18 EST 2017

No, those votes are "wasted", all right.

In our electoral system only a single person gets elected in one
riding. Any vote for a non-winning candidate does not  contribute to
the strength of any other party or candidate; the outcome would have
been the same if that person had not voted at all.

If the ballot you cast for a non-winning candidate is
indistinguishable from a ballot that was thrown in the garbage, it's a
wasted vote.

This is why we're advocating for Proportional Representation. Under PR
*every* vote cast contributes towards a seat in parliament. If it does
not strengthen the position for one of the candidates in your
(multi-member) riding, then it goes to strengthen the seat count for
that party nationally.

Different electoral systems accomplish this is in different ways; I'm
sure there are many people on this list who are willing to dive into
the minutiae of any voting system you'd like.

- --Bob.