[fvc-wat-disc] A letter re electoral reform from SeánOS

Sean OS fifthprovince at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:14:45 EST 2017

The Honorable Karina Gould M.P.

Minister of Democratic Institutions

House of Commons

Ottawa, ON  K1A 0A6

January 20, 2017

Dear Minister Gould,

Congratulations on your appointment to the most important post in the
present parliament. This is not *plámás** - it is *not* ‘empty flattery’ or
‘ingratiating talk’. It is a serious and sincere expression of hope and
trust. I am writing this in the morning of Friday January 20, 2017 – a day
in which much of our attention is inclined to focus down south on Disunited
Distopia and what is expected to be a cacotopia **circus. It is a possible
foretaste of what could happen in Canada.

Unless, of course, you do a Trojan job - for which you are noted - on
reforming our electoral system. When our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau (In
1971, I celebrated the Eucharist for his parents on their honeymoon in
Tobago), whispered in French some months ago that he didn’t think people
were that keen on electoral reform, he betrayed the trust and hope that so
many of us had for this very thing if he was elected; and he promised it!

So please do not just give us platitudes that may be placating for the
non-plebs and the impious ears of the self-clowned Emperor of Amerikay. Let
Canada continue to be a beacon of benevolence and constitutional democracy;
and not pander, nor be a hostage, to the friendly fascism being bequeath to
our brethren “South of the Border” but certainly not “… down Mexico Way”.
We do believe in you … at this moment.

Keep the momentum going.

Thank you.

Seán O’Seasnáin