[fvc-wat-disc] Annual General Meeting: Wed, 21 June 2017

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jun 27 14:40:51 EDT 2017

Hi everyone: Kevin Smith hasn't yet released the minutes of this
year's AGM, but I do want to announce that Cathy Scott has been newly
elected to the Fair Vote Waterloo Executive as a Member-At-Large.

I want to thank Shannon Adshade, one of the founders of Fair Vote
Waterloo, who has served on the Executive every year since we started
in 2006! This year other commitments are keeping Shannon busy, so
we're finally letting him off the hook.

There were five Executive positions to be filled, and six nominees.
This is the first time since 2006 that we had to have an election for
the executive, so we held an election using Single Transferable Vote.
Members at the AGM placed nominees' names on the ballot in order of
preference, from 1 to 6. There were 12 ballots cast, but as returning
Co-chair I withheld my ballot, to be used in case of a tie. David
Dolson and I were the "returning officers" to count the ballots.

How many votes would it take to elect a nominee? We calculated the
"Droop Quota" -- the number of ballots cast divided by the
number-of-positions-plus-one, rounded down to an integer, plus one[*].

  Droop Quota = int(ballots / (positions+1)) +1

              = int(11 / (5+1)) +1
              = int(11 / 6) +1
              = int(1.8) +1
              = 2

We placed the ballots in piles based on the first choice of each
ballot. Cathy Scott received two ballots, Sharon Sommerville received
nine, so both get a position on the board. The seven surplus ballots
for Sharon were then re-distributed based on the second choice on each
ballot:

Kevin Smith: 2
Mo Markham: 2
Donald Fraser: 2
Shannon Adshade: 1

So, our 2017-2018 Executive is elected! Sharon will resume the
position of Co-Chair, and Kevin Smith resumes the position of
Secretary, both two-year terms. Aden Seaman continues his second year
as Treasurer, and I'm in the second year as Co-chair, with Mo, Donald,
and Cathy serving one-year terms as Members-At-Large.

Thanks to all who came out, and for the opportunity to "eat our own
dogfood" -- a computer industry term for actually using the things we
build, or in our case, using the principles we advocate.

- --Bob.

[*] Droop Quota: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droop_quota